• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » understand piano chord » Is there an easy method to switch chords from guitar to piano?

Is there an easy method to switch chords from guitar to piano?

Q. So I've been playing the guitar for a few years and, I can play quite a few songs. I play them just by chords mostly but picking here and there. But anyway I was wondering if there is a way to transfer those chords over to piano. The chord name remains the same correct? But what about if I have a capo on the guitar on the 3rd or 5th fret, then how do the chords transfer?
Thank you

A. The EASY ANSWER would be to get a piano chord chart book, look up the guitar chords you want to play on the piano in the index, and play away. But did you ever hear the adage: "Feed a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat forever"? Well, read on....here's the honest to goodness truthful answer to your question:
.
Do you know how chords are constructed? Knowing this is the key. It doesn't matter where the capo is on the guitar: if you are playing a Cm7 chord, the notes in that chord are going to be the same no matter WHERE you play the chord on the guitar. It doesn't matter if you play an open chord, a barre chord, an inverted chord, etc. A Cm7 is always going to include the following notes:
C-E-G-Bb no matter where you play it.
Chords are built from scales. Scales are made of intervals.
It would be easy for you to play the chords you play on the guitar on the piano if you understood music theory a bit, especially intervals and scales.
You should also learn what intervals of which scales create what chords (sound confusing? This is a year of theory, minimum.).
Here are the intervals that create basic chords:
Major: 1-3-5
minor: 1-b3-5
dominant 7th: 1-3-5-b7
MAJOR 7th: 1-3-5-7
.
All you need to know is what intervals / specific notes make up each chord; where those notes are located on an instrument and the proper way to hold the chord, and you're set. It doesn~t matter what instrument you are playing-- a Cm7 is a Cm7 is a Cm7.
.
Thatms music theory. It's all formulas and patterns. It seems impossible to comprehend in the beginning, but once you catch on and grasp where chords come from, a whole new musical world will open up for you.
I taught myself piano because I understood the theory behind chord construction....even before I taught myself to read and write music. You can do it to! :)

Original Question

How do you convert piano chords into sheet music? Is there some sort of program you can use?
Q. I've played for 8 years, but I only know how to read sheet music, and I don't have time to learn to read chords before i play next. Please help??

A. You mean to say that you can't read chord symbols? Like G7 F#m Bb7(#9) etc?

You've been playing 8 years and you can't do that??!?! No offense, but what have you been learning? Getting by for 8 years without a basic understanding of how music is constructed... I just can't understand that. Do you even know how to play your major scales? If not, learn that... NOW! You're way behind.

If you can play your major scales, it's not that hard to understand how chords are made.

http://a.1asphost.com/LukeSniper/ccc.html

This is a chart of chord formulas I made. My first guitar teacher gave me something like this my second lesson, and it gave me a HUGE leg up on my peers. Actually understanding music is crucial to giving a moving performance. Otherwise what you're doing is no different than someone reading a poem in a language they don't speak.

If you play two octaves of any major scale, number each note on the way up (you really only need to go up to 13 though). Then, to play any type of chord, you just play the notes the formula says. SO a major chord is 1 3 5. In C, this would end up being the notes C E and G. Any combination of C E and G is a C major chord. Some of the chords have alterations to a specific note, for example, a dominant 7th chord is 1 3 5 b7. So you would take the normal 7th, and flat it. In C, this would result in C E G and Bb.

Get it? Good.

That chord chart should give you plenty to work with. Seriously though, playing for 8 years and you couldn't play an F7 if somebody asked? There's something wrong with that... I'm not saying that you've failed, but your teachers have definitely failed you.

Original Question

What does it mean by "What key?" in piano terms?
Q. I have heard that many times in movies, real life, etc. What does it really mean? For example, "I'm playing this song in C Major" I don't seem to understand that. And I already know about piano notes, chords, etc. I want to know since I'm starting to teach myself piano. Thanks!

A. A key is what main notes the song is restrained to,but not necessarily limited to. A more simple way of explaining it is, it's what sharps or flats are used in the song as opposed to the natural. The key can affect the sound of the song a lot. Making it anywhere from happy, sad, to dramatic.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Is there an easy method to switch chords from guitar to piano?
Description : Q. So I've been playing the guitar for a few years and, I can play quite a few songs. I play them just by chords mostly but picking her...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How to change a keyboard chord to piano?
    Q. Hey! On the electronic keyboard, for example, the C major chord is : C - E - G, which is pressed all at the same time, now what i wanna ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • How do you play guitar chords on the piano?
    Q. There are a lot of songs I like that I want to learn on piano, but I don't know how. I can play piano by reading notes, have studied...
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • How do I convert or change piano chords to bass guitar chords or tabs?
    Q. Usually when I try to find gospel bass tabs or chords, I'm sent to sites that only have piano chords. Someone said that I could get ...
  • Guitar chords to piano?
    Q. Okay so I wrote I song, and I started with my acoustic guitar first with capo on 3rd fret. But I want to play the same exact chords on p...
  • How do I form special piano chords?
    Q. specifically (add9) chords and ninth and 11th chords. Thanks in Advance. A. add9 just means you add the 9th to the given chord. The 9th...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • What are chords in piano?
    Q. Like C, C7, C, and Am7. I see them on top of my piano music and I don't understand. Are there different ways of playing a C chord,...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger