• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord fm » How is it that you comp piano chords?

How is it that you comp piano chords?

Q. I know how to do basic comping with 7 chords.
Like with a C7 I would play LH root C and RH the 3 and the 7 (or 7 and 3).
But how do you comp a chord like Fm? Without the 7 I'm not sure what to play. Just the 3?
I hope this makes sense.
Thank you!

A. I'm not a pianist, but I suggest leaving the root out (odds are the bassist is playing it) and leaving the natural 5th out (it does very little to define the quality of the chord).

Do play 3rd/7th in your left hand and other chord tones or melody notes in your right hand. You'll discover that the LH voice leading falls together pretty naturally this way, and you are free to add tension tones or improvise in the RH.

Less is more, and the larger the ensemble, the truer this becomes.

Now... that said, comping is a delicate art that requires years of study to do well, so take your time, have fun, and perhaps get yourself a jazz piano teacher who can help you along. Also listen to and steal from your favorite pianists a LOT. If you arent' sure who to listen to, start with Bill Evans, McCoy Tyner, and Chick Corea just to get their sound into your ear - all are very sophisticated and really playing the way they do will be out of your reach for a while, so cherry-pick the occasional cool voicing that you can and just enjoy the rest. McCoy is known for huge voicings that require a lot of strength, and Chick often plays polytonally (in multiple keys at once) so don't discourage yourself by trying to become like them overnight. Bill is the epitome of mainstream "cocktail jazz" piano, and you will learn and grow conceptually just by enjoying his amazing, delicate, beautiful compositions, solos, and voicings.

Original Question

What are the chords to the song Men of Snow?
Q. It's a song by Ingrid Michaelson and the piano chords/notes don't seem to exist online, does anyone know them?

A. 0:00-1:27 & 1:56-2:37 & 3:48 - 4:00

CM, Fm6, Am, FM (repeats however many times)

1:27-1:56

CM, FM9, CM, FM, Am, FM,
CM, FM9, CM, FM, Am, FM, Am.. (one day)

2:41-3:48

CM FM9 CM FM Am FM
CM FM9 CM FM Am FM Am FM
x2
Am FM Am FM (one day)

(Orchestral thing at end)
CM FM CM FM Am9 FM
CM FM CM FM Am9 FM Am FM

Original Question

Piano chords to go with alto sax piece?
Q. I'm playing colours of the wind on alto sax in the C Major key... I need three piano chords that i can play to accompany this, but I need help.

A. Here are the chords for "Colors Of The Wind" by Vaness Williams:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/v/vanessa_williams/colors_of_the_wind_crd.htm

As key for piano or guitar here is shown the key C major:
C, Am, C, Em, Am, F, Dm, G, Am.

If you play that correct chords for piano, the alto sax has to play the melody chords:
A, F#m, A, C#m, F#m, D, Bm, E, F#m.

If you play the melody on alto sax in the key of C major, the piano has to play the chords:
Eb, Cm, Eb, Gm, Cm, Ab, Fm, Bb, Cm.

Cheers ebs

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : How is it that you comp piano chords?
Description : Q. I know how to do basic comping with 7 chords. Like with a C7 I would play LH root C and RH the 3 and the 7 (or 7 and 3). But how do you ...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How to change a keyboard chord to piano?
    Q. Hey! On the electronic keyboard, for example, the C major chord is : C - E - G, which is pressed all at the same time, now what i wanna ...
  • How to convert guitar chords to piano notes?
    Q. I have a few songs that I would love to convert to piano notes (beginner/intermediate level) and I just don't know how. I googled it...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • What is a chord progression and how do you play it in the piano?
    Q. I am studying on playing the piano and my textbook says "Chord progressions consist of two or mjore chords played consecutively....
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • How do I convert or change piano chords to bass guitar chords or tabs?
    Q. Usually when I try to find gospel bass tabs or chords, I'm sent to sites that only have piano chords. Someone said that I could get ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • Guitar chords to piano?
    Q. Okay so I wrote I song, and I started with my acoustic guitar first with capo on 3rd fret. But I want to play the same exact chords on p...
  • How do I form special piano chords?
    Q. specifically (add9) chords and ninth and 11th chords. Thanks in Advance. A. add9 just means you add the 9th to the given chord. The 9th...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger