• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » c9 piano chord » How do I form special piano chords?

How do I form special piano chords?

Q. specifically (add9) chords and ninth and 11th chords. Thanks in Advance.

A. add9 just means you add the 9th to the given chord. The 9th is the same as the 2. Imagine you just continued counting the notes of the major scale AFTER the octave.

So Cadd9 would be C E G D, Emin(add9) would be E G B F#, etc

Cadd9 is different than a simple C9. C9 indicates the presence of the flat 7th too (C E G Bb D)

Here's a link to a chord construction chart I made. It tells you the which notes are in various chords, along with a few different ways they may be indicated on a lead sheet.

http://a.1asphost.com/LukeSniper/ccc.html

It doesn't have anything about 11ths or 13ths, it should make sense how that works after looking at it. The only thing to point out is that C13 is 1 3 5 b7 9 11 13. Parentheses are often used to indicate alterations or additions to a given chord. So C9(b5) would be 1 3 b5 b7 9 and C7(11/13) would be 1 3 5 b7 11 13

Original Question

Does Anyone Know Any Jazz Chords On Piano?
Q. On piano or keyboard can anyone tell me any jazz chords because i think they sound awesome. Could you tell me what notes to put my fingers on please?

A. There's no real list of jazz chords per se, but 7th chords (7, min7, maj7, etc) are commonly used in jazz.

To play a 7th chord, play the first, third, and fifth note of the scale (major chord) and add a flatted 7th to it.

The formula for a basic 7th chord is 1 3 5 b7

C major scale = C(1) D(2) E(3) F(4) G(5) A(6) B(7)
So, to make a C7 chord, play C E G and Bb

Formula for a maj7 chord is 1 3 5 7
Formula for min7 chord is 1 b3 5 b7
Formula for maj(min7) chord is 1 b3 5 7

You can usually also substitute 9th and higher (11th, 13th, etc.) chords for most 7th chords (9th chords are 7th chords with the 9th attached)

C7 = C E G Bb / C9 = C E G Bb D
Cmaj7 = C E G B / Cmaj9 = C E G B D
Cmin7 = C Eb G Bb / Cmin9 = C Eb G Bb
Cmin(maj7) = C Eb G B / Cmin(maj9) = C Eb G B D

The are so many other chord types out there though, so don't just rely on these!

Original Question

guitar chord theory question: 11/13 vs 13?
Q. guitar chord theory question: 11/13 vs 13?
learning guitar chord theory and writings, I came across a site (http://www.learn-guitar-asap.com/list-of⦠listing (on the V mode) the chords 11/13 and 13.
The site says these chords are be:
11: 1-3-5-7-9-11
13: 1-3-5-7-9-11-13
and then
11/13: 1-3-5-7-9-13

my logic says that this last chord should be written "9/13" instead of "11/13"
there is no 11 in the chord at all

The only logical conclusion is that this is a trick question in place to determine who (those who pose questions about the chord indication) has attained a guitar-enlightenment, and that Guitar Wan-Kenobi Joe Pass will now descend from the heavens and bestow onto me my Merit Badge of the Guitar Glory.

A. You are essentially correct. The designation 11/13 is also not a standard designation. Let us also be a bit more introspective on to how we actually play such chords on the guitar. The first chord you have listed is the 11th chord consisting of a root-3rd-5th-7th-9th-11th. Try playing it! Aha! it is almost impossible isn't it! You only have 4 fingers and 6 strings. For a piano player it would be no problem but us guitarists have to consider the "economy" of the instrument itself. This would make the next chord (13th) absolutely impossible! (I am of course talking about playing a 6 string guitar with NO two handed tricks involved!)
How do we actually play these extended voicings? Simple, we get rid of some of the notes! the first to go is always the 5th. This leaves us a root and a 3rd, essential for establishing the chord name and quality (major or minor), and a 7th, 9th, and 11th. Still a lot of notes to put in, but possible. Lets look at a C dominant chord to examine the possible voicings. The notes would be C E G Bb D

---3---fifth
---3---ninth
---3---seventh
---2---third
---3---root
---x---
This is a standard C9 chord. By barring across the 3rd fret with the ring finger we can easily accommodate the notes on the first three strings. This is a very standard version of the chord. Now lets try to add the 11th (F). We could put it in the bass and play the rest of the chord with the last three fingers which would give us a C9/F chord or a C11. Not so common, but doable. Ideally we would like to put it on top of the chord but this becomes a bit tricky, if not impossible! It is here that we need to get creative (again) and omit some more notes. By omitting the third we could play the root, 7th, 9th, and 11th (C-Bb-D-F) But wait! We can't omit the third! Or can we? Turns out we can and it is IMPLIED in the voicing of the chord. Ex;
---1---
---3---
---3---
---x---
---3---
---x---
Technically this voicing is not major or minor because there is no third present but it is implied by the harmony of the scale (C major) This is an acceptable version of C11. We could also omit either the 7th or the 9th and include the third and their presence would still be implied.
Lets look at the 13th chord. If we add an A into the existing chord we will definitely need to remove some voicings. The most common voicing for it would be to remove the 5th and the 11th and add the note of A on top:
---5---13th
---3---9th
---3---7th
---2---3rd
---3---root
---x---
Now all of this may seem confusing but the bottom line is that when playing extended voicings with the guitar you HAVE to omit certain voicings to accomplish the perceived overall effect. The last version of the chord you gave does NOT contain the 11th. It is similar to the chord I diagrammed that does not have the 5th or 11th. But both of those voicings are IMPLIED by the harmony.
In standard classical harmony we build on the extensions of the harmony. In other words, you cannot have a 9th without the 7th present (or else it is just a 2nd) and like wise no 11th without a 9th etc. But what we find out with guitar is that this rule goes out the window! We HAVE to omit various voicings when we build extensions.
I think that your 11/13 chord alludes to this dichotomy and the 11th, while not actually present, is IMPLIED. However, I have seen this type of nonsense used in the opposite manner, to identify a chord where both the 11th and 13th ARE present and some other voicings are omitted.
Kinda sucks when you think that a piano player can simply play a nice C7 chord with his left hand and a D minor triad with his right to get all the correct voicings!

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : How do I form special piano chords?
Description : Q. specifically (add9) chords and ninth and 11th chords. Thanks in Advance. A. add9 just means you add the 9th to the given chord. The 9th...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger