• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » jazz piano chord voicings » Learning jazz piano?

Learning jazz piano?

Q. I have been classically trained in piano for 12 years and would like to teach myself jazz piano.

What books should I buy, and how long would it take for me to be able to give a performance?

Also, I was never quite sure - is jazz piano mostly memorized songs or improvisation?

A. I too, was a classical pianist for most of my life before turning to jazz. I would recommend that you study with a teacher because jazz is one of the hardest styles of music to teach yourself, especially for someone who has studied classical music for a while. If you can teach yourself successfully, then learn from the books mentioned.

Basically, you must learn your chord voicings, identity chord symbols, know your chord/scale theory, learn to improvise and listen to lots of jazz artists. I really do not know of a jazz book that will teach you automatically how to play jazz, like the book mentioned by Mark Levine titled "The Jazz Piano Book", it is good but if you take it too literally, it will confuse you.

A teacher will give you some pieces to learn, help you with the chord voicings in those pieces, teach you how to comp(accompanying in jazz terms), and help you figure out which jazz scales to use over the chords. A good teacher will give you a solid fundamental foundation and then you will have that to build on.

Take an improvisation class like someone else mentioned, after you get a teacher, enroll in a small jazz ensemble so that you can implement what you have learned in the real world..................that's how I learned. Learn how to compose your own stuff a little later down the road.

Depending on how well you learn the stuff I mentioned will determine how well and how fast you learn jazz. You memorize the melody and chords and you improvise on those chords in the piece.

Original Question

jazz piano HELP!!!!!?
Q. I've been playing classical piano forever(I'm almost 15)!! I've done bits and pieces of different genres of music. But no jazz. I've grown up around lots of jazz and always admired jazz piano improv. So i started a jazz camp this week and they basically hand me music with tons of chords I don't recognize quickly and at least 4 flats per song. They expect me to sight-read which I am good at. But this is so much harder. I'm in a small ensemble where I am the only pianist and they want me to do random solos I can't keep up with. It's a complete mess... What should help?? How to improv or try to???

A. just do your best. Jazz _does_ require advanced skills that you won't pick up overnight, so don't expect too much of yourself; that'll just make this painful instead of fun.

This free booklet from Jamey Aebersold has a bunch of piano voicings around p 49... since you read well that should help you at least decipher the chord charts.

http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/download/FQBK-handbook.pdf

There's a lot of other great info as well, including tips on improvising, as well as the Charlie Parker story that everybody knows: how he got laughed off the bandstand when he was about 16 or 17. He later became one of the most influential jazz players of all time, for not just sax but everybody... there isn't a jazz player alive who hasn't studied Bird.

Original Question

About chord voicings?
Q. its mind boggling to me the number of possible chord voiciings, so im looking for a comprehensive source maybe a book on all of the most used chord voicings that perhaps outlines or categorizings the most common voicings, im familiar with four part voicings as i have done so many four part writings in theory but id like to get beyond that and move on too more complicated voicings

A. Both of these books are great and illustrate the voiceings in an easy to understand way.

The Jazz Piano Book by Mark Levine

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Piano-Book-Mark-Levine/dp/0961470151

The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine
http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Theory-Book-Mark-Levine/dp/1883217040/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215720990&sr=1-1

Try before you buy plug the titles into here and see if your public library has them
http://www.worldcat.org/
when it brings up the title you can put in your zip code to see which library is closest to you

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Learning jazz piano?
Description : Q. I have been classically trained in piano for 12 years and would like to teach myself jazz piano. What books should I buy, and how long w...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to convert guitar chords to piano notes?
    Q. I have a few songs that I would love to convert to piano notes (beginner/intermediate level) and I just don't know how. I googled it...
  • How to do advance piano chords?
    Q. I already know how to make major and minor chords and inversions. But the others chords I still don't know how to do them. How do yo...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • How to make a beautiful sad melody on piano?
    Q. So my voice instructor is leaving soon, and i wanted to surprise her and write her a song and i have started, i have an idea of the lyri...
  • Does anyone know the piano chords to Jar of Hearts?
    Q. The song Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri..I want the piano chords. A. Am, C i know i cant take one m...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger