• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » e9 piano chord » I have a piano question?

I have a piano question?

Q. My teacher is making us play chords in this sheet entitled Two-Five Progression by Louis Hall. Theres numbers next to each note and on the top of each of them it says DM9 and then G9b5 etc etc etc. So the first one right hand is Fb3, A5, E9. If the top saids DM9 then how do we play it? Hope it makes sense!

A. Forgive me but I have never studied Louis Hall.

Those notations are found in modern sheets (e.g. if I wanted to play Michael Jackson with the piano), then you would find the right hand (being the violin clef) and left hand playing those chords.

I think you are best asking your teacher. DM could be D Major, but 9? Seems more like a guitar chord/notation rather than a piano. I honestly don't know what it means. Proper piano sheets contain proper notes together.

Original Question

why when I play the chord G#M7b5 in the left hand I play E , if G#M7b5 has nothing to do with E or at least I?
Q.

A. Thats not very specific but the only relationship i know is that G#m7b5 is subbing or using as voicing for an E9 chord. Does happen in the Blues. Can use Min7b5 chords so that voice leading is real close to the next ninth chord when it changes to the IV chord from the I. Eg: G#m7b5 | A9 ||
Min7b5 is a 9th chord. E G# B D F#.
................................... |--Min7b5--|

I play gtr so no root but piano can play root with left hand as you seem to be doing.

Original Question

Background Chords for Jazz Piano Solo?
Q. I have a solo that I need to come up with for Jazz Band. I listen to a recording with a solo in it of that specific song, but it is incredibly complicated and contains some fancy things I don't know how to do. Before I move on to learning those things however, I need to find out what scales I'm supposed to be soloing on. The chords are Eb9 for one measure, Ab9 for one measure, Eb9 for one measure, Bbmin7 for 1/2 a measure, Eb9 for 1/2 a measure, Ab9 for one measure, Ab9 for one measure, Eb9 for one measure, C7(B9) for one measure (wtfrick?), Fmin7 for one measure, Bb+7(b9) for one measure (holy crap, what the heck!?), Eb9 for 1/2 a measure, Gb9 for 1/2 a measure, F9 for 1/2 a measure, E9 for 3/8 a measure, and Eb9 for 1/8 of the last measure. I have no idea how to solo over something like this as my past songs simply said "Blues Scale" or "Dorian Scale." Now, what I imagine it is is that I need to just play an Eb SOMETHING throughout the whole thing, as while the chords changed on the other solos, I stayed on an F Dorian.

My second question is, is there something that will allow me to arrange these chords and play drums, chords, and a bass line in the background so I have something to practice to?

A. This is basically an Eb blues. So try the following

Eb blues scale
Eb mixolydian scale
Eb minor pentatonic

Just try these out and follow your ear.

F Dorian or any F minor scale is also a pretty good choice, as their relationship to Eb dominant and Ab dominant will work to help you pick notes that sound good.

BTW, if you know the name of the song, you might be able to find a Jamey Aebersold play-along track that you can use to practice your solo on. Band In A Box works well too. Or see if you can find a freebie MIDI track of the song on the internet. Or just play the chords into a tape recorder.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : I have a piano question?
Description : Q. My teacher is making us play chords in this sheet entitled Two-Five Progression by Louis Hall. Theres numbers next to each note and on t...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • chord progressions for enhancing improv skills?
    Q. I'm a guitarist and I'm trying to work on my improv skills. I'm looking for some chord progressions to practice over that ar...
  • whats the difference between a c chord and the key of c?
    Q. i have a piano chart at home that says C chord is G, C, and E (in that order). but i've learned that C is C, E, and G. they are the ...
  • where can i find the piano chords for a song called So Much Love by The Rocket Summer??
    Q. A. verses are [Em7] to [Am7] pre chorus is [Em7] [D/F#] [G] [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 chorus is [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 [G] [Am7] the bridge ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • How do you play piano chords??!!?
    Q. I'm a beginner and teaching myself how to play Keyboard/Piano. I've borrowed so many books on the subject but can't figure o...
  • Does anyone know where i can get a free piano chord sheets for Poker Face?
    Q. So im looking online and if you could, please put a link for a site you may find them on, cuz im not having and luck. thanks! A. D ...
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • All about singing... and other things . ;)?
    Q. From what I know I'm a good singer (i think.) I'm 16 years old and i'm a female. I always wanting singing lessons but could ...
  • Piano chords in the key of E???
    Q. Ok, so what chords are in the key of E in piano if you are making a song. If it is just E chords, why is it different for guitar? The ch...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger