• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord imagine » How to choose the best piano?

How to choose the best piano?

Q. I'm looking to buy a new piano, am currently using a Yamaha upright and playing at a diploma level.
How do I choose the best one?
My Yamaha was a random piano that was recommended by the salesperson that my parents bought 10 years ago, so I have no idea.

A. The only way is to go out to someplace that sells pianos and try them out. If for some weird reason you go to a vendor and they say you're not allowed to play the pianos (it happens sometimes), then you need to leave immediately and go somewhere else.

What I would suggest is that you pick out two or three pieces, or sections of pieces, that you can have ready to play. It all comes down to personal preference of course, but here are a couple of things you might think about:

1. Pick at least one thing to play that is fast. What you are trying to do is test the limits of the piano action. A simple scale is probably not going to do this for you; you should pick some real piece of writing. If you can outmatch the piano on speed, then you need a better piano.
2. Pick something very light (quiet) to play. It is generally very simple to tell how a piano sounds when you're playing loudly by just playing a couple of loud chords. Playing softly is a different story. If you find that maintaining a generally quiet sound is so difficult as to make small changes in dynamics impossible, then you need a better piano.
3. Make sure you test the pedals. The sustain pedal should be able to actually sustain (obviously) but more importantly you should be able to control how much it sustains. Pressing the pedal down halfway should yield a shorter sustain; a quarter of the way even shorter (but still noticeable). The wider the range of control, the better. Also, check the una corda and sustenuto pedals. On upright pianos, the sustenuto pedals are generally not true sustenuto; they are just sustain pedals that work only on notes below middle C. This is not really a huge issue (and is all but unavoidable) but it is good to know. Also, some Yamaha uprights don't have a sustenuto pedal at all, instead they have a "practice pedal" that uses a piece of felt over the strings to dampen the sound. This may or may not be useful to you, but once again it is good to know.
4. Test the range of the piano. Generally the treble keys are pretty good, but if not that will probably be the first thing you notice. What you want to do is play around with the very high and very low registers. You're looking for pretty much the same thing both ways; when you hit a note on either extreme end of the keyboard, can you actually distinguish what the note is? In other words, you want the bass notes to sound rich, not muddy (imagine a deep gong, rather than a "splash"), and you want the soprano notes to sound clear, not tinny (imagine chiming as opposed to the sound you might hear if you strangled a kitten. you sick kitten murderer you).

Well that should pretty much do it. Oh, in response to your story; I'm sure salespeople are very nice and beneficial members of society who go home in the evening to loving spouses and families. When you're buying a piano though, their only job involves pointing their index finger in the general direction of the pianos and then getting out of your way. You have all the tools that you need to figure out what piano you should buy, and salespeople are just mindless distractions for you (once again, I'm sure they're very nice people though).

Original Question

piano chords for i can only imagine by mercyme?
Q. so im trying to learn the song i can only imagine on piano but i dont have the chords or notes to the song...does anyone know where i can get them?

A. Not a piece of classical music - so wrong category.

Original Question

Do piano accompanists at musical auditions generally play the melody, or only the chords?
Q. I have an audition tomorrow, and I want only the chords played. Do I just tell him/her to leave the melody out?
Any help would be much appreciated!

A. It really depends on who the accompanist is. Sometimes they'll be the music director and others they'll be some person hired just to play for auditions. So you get a variety of skill levels.

If the accompanist is worth their salt, they've already seen the song that you're performing and should be able to play it. That said, if you come in with a Sondheim, the accompanist will probably want to kill you. It's INCREDIBLY difficult music for one person with two hands to play.

You can explain to the accompanist that all you want are the chords played, though it seems like a strange request. I'd imagine that playing the melody would always make you sound better and give the director/casting director/music director a better look at what you can do.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : How to choose the best piano?
Description : Q. I'm looking to buy a new piano, am currently using a Yamaha upright and playing at a diploma level. How do I choose the best one? My...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How to change a keyboard chord to piano?
    Q. Hey! On the electronic keyboard, for example, the C major chord is : C - E - G, which is pressed all at the same time, now what i wanna ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • How do you play guitar chords on the piano?
    Q. There are a lot of songs I like that I want to learn on piano, but I don't know how. I can play piano by reading notes, have studied...
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • How do I convert or change piano chords to bass guitar chords or tabs?
    Q. Usually when I try to find gospel bass tabs or chords, I'm sent to sites that only have piano chords. Someone said that I could get ...
  • Guitar chords to piano?
    Q. Okay so I wrote I song, and I started with my acoustic guitar first with capo on 3rd fret. But I want to play the same exact chords on p...
  • How do I form special piano chords?
    Q. specifically (add9) chords and ninth and 11th chords. Thanks in Advance. A. add9 just means you add the 9th to the given chord. The 9th...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • What are chords in piano?
    Q. Like C, C7, C, and Am7. I see them on top of my piano music and I don't understand. Are there different ways of playing a C chord,...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger