• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord notes chart » Is there an easy method to switch chords from guitar to piano?

Is there an easy method to switch chords from guitar to piano?

Q. So I've been playing the guitar for a few years and, I can play quite a few songs. I play them just by chords mostly but picking here and there. But anyway I was wondering if there is a way to transfer those chords over to piano. The chord name remains the same correct? But what about if I have a capo on the guitar on the 3rd or 5th fret, then how do the chords transfer?
Thank you

A. The EASY ANSWER would be to get a piano chord chart book, look up the guitar chords you want to play on the piano in the index, and play away. But did you ever hear the adage: "Feed a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat forever"? Well, read on....here's the honest to goodness truthful answer to your question:
.
Do you know how chords are constructed? Knowing this is the key. It doesn't matter where the capo is on the guitar: if you are playing a Cm7 chord, the notes in that chord are going to be the same no matter WHERE you play the chord on the guitar. It doesn't matter if you play an open chord, a barre chord, an inverted chord, etc. A Cm7 is always going to include the following notes:
C-E-G-Bb no matter where you play it.
Chords are built from scales. Scales are made of intervals.
It would be easy for you to play the chords you play on the guitar on the piano if you understood music theory a bit, especially intervals and scales.
You should also learn what intervals of which scales create what chords (sound confusing? This is a year of theory, minimum.).
Here are the intervals that create basic chords:
Major: 1-3-5
minor: 1-b3-5
dominant 7th: 1-3-5-b7
MAJOR 7th: 1-3-5-7
.
All you need to know is what intervals / specific notes make up each chord; where those notes are located on an instrument and the proper way to hold the chord, and you're set. It doesn~t matter what instrument you are playing-- a Cm7 is a Cm7 is a Cm7.
.
Thatms music theory. It's all formulas and patterns. It seems impossible to comprehend in the beginning, but once you catch on and grasp where chords come from, a whole new musical world will open up for you.
I taught myself piano because I understood the theory behind chord construction....even before I taught myself to read and write music. You can do it to! :)

Original Question

How do you convert piano chords into sheet music? Is there some sort of program you can use?
Q. I've played for 8 years, but I only know how to read sheet music, and I don't have time to learn to read chords before i play next. Please help??

A. You mean to say that you can't read chord symbols? Like G7 F#m Bb7(#9) etc?

You've been playing 8 years and you can't do that??!?! No offense, but what have you been learning? Getting by for 8 years without a basic understanding of how music is constructed... I just can't understand that. Do you even know how to play your major scales? If not, learn that... NOW! You're way behind.

If you can play your major scales, it's not that hard to understand how chords are made.

http://a.1asphost.com/LukeSniper/ccc.html

This is a chart of chord formulas I made. My first guitar teacher gave me something like this my second lesson, and it gave me a HUGE leg up on my peers. Actually understanding music is crucial to giving a moving performance. Otherwise what you're doing is no different than someone reading a poem in a language they don't speak.

If you play two octaves of any major scale, number each note on the way up (you really only need to go up to 13 though). Then, to play any type of chord, you just play the notes the formula says. SO a major chord is 1 3 5. In C, this would end up being the notes C E and G. Any combination of C E and G is a C major chord. Some of the chords have alterations to a specific note, for example, a dominant 7th chord is 1 3 5 b7. So you would take the normal 7th, and flat it. In C, this would result in C E G and Bb.

Get it? Good.

That chord chart should give you plenty to work with. Seriously though, playing for 8 years and you couldn't play an F7 if somebody asked? There's something wrong with that... I'm not saying that you've failed, but your teachers have definitely failed you.

Original Question

Is there a place to type piano notes and it will show you exactly what keys to use for that string of notes?
Q. Like a picture of piano keys and you type in notes and it will highlight what you keys you hit?

A. Are you refering to CORDS?
http://www.8notes.com/piano_chord_chart/

How about a program the plays midi and show what is being played like "Crescendo" or something a little bit more "Noteworthy"

If I remember.. There is a kareoke software that has the piano being played.
http://www.vanbasco.com/

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Is there an easy method to switch chords from guitar to piano?
Description : Q. So I've been playing the guitar for a few years and, I can play quite a few songs. I play them just by chords mostly but picking her...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • How much does piano help with guitar?
    Q. I've played guitar for seven years, and I'm taking up guitar. About how long does it take to get really good at guitar, and does...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • an advanced version of happy birthday for piano?
    Q. I want to play happy birthday on the piano for my uncle because it's his birthday today, but I want to play happy birthday a bit ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to convert guitar chords to piano notes?
    Q. I have a few songs that I would love to convert to piano notes (beginner/intermediate level) and I just don't know how. I googled it...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger