• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » happy birthday song piano chord » an advanced version of happy birthday for piano?

an advanced version of happy birthday for piano?

Q. I want to play happy birthday on the piano for my uncle because it's his birthday today, but I want to play happy birthday a bit "fancier" and more advanced than the traditional way of playing it on the piano. Any sheet music links, etc for a version of happy birthday that sounds more "filled out" and not just notes would be GREATLY appreciated! Also, any alternative happy birthday songs (not just the traditional "happy birthday to you~ happy birthday to you~" song) would help a lot!

A. If you have enough piano experience with patterns of notes, chords, arpeggios, and dynamics, playing your improvised version should not be hard. If you really want to make him happy and so he is impressed, and to show your love, improvise. A good way is to know the melody, add chords, then add dynamics, then add cool arpeggios and patterns like jumping up and down, similar to a piece like an etude. Playing these chords while you play the patterns and/ or after and before you play the patterns.

Playing your own version will make him more happy because it will come from your heart. Reading the music means nothing about love, and playing an advanced version means nothing about love. The piece has to come from your heart, to be creative, have fun, and concentrate on the notes when you play.

Since you are asking this question, it is clear that you have a lot of sheet music reading experience. With this experience, inventing patterns should not be hard. Focus on the keys and play your best.

Best regards.

P.S.- Since you have a lot of sheet music reading experience, you can also write music, which will make things even more interesting. Noteflight.com is a great place to do it by ear if you don't want to do it just on your piano or on your piano at all. It is also good if you don't want to write out the notes of the music. On this website, all you have to do is type the notes and dynamics and print out the music.

Original Question

How do you listen to a piece of music and then play it on piano without the sheet music?
Q. I am finding it extremely difficult to do so for even the easiest songs. Do you have to have a sound knowledge of music theory (if so, how much? what grade in AMEB if you live in Australia?). How do you develop relative pitch, or even perfect pitch?

A. Hi.

From personal experience, here is how you do it.

I will use the popular "Happy Birthday" tune (Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you; happy birthday dear <whoever>, happy birthday to you ) for illustration.

For simplicity, we will use the Key of C Major for illustrations.

First and foremost, listen to the bass; the bass plays the root note upon which the chord is built.

Secondly, listen to the melody; as in, what note is the singer singing at that precise point ?

When you combine the two, you have the root note, and another note, which could be the third, fifth, sixth, seventh, major seventh, suspended fourth, etc.

Having got two notes, then, listening to the song as a whole, and having some rough idea of what the chord is (based on the root note) then you can figure out the rest of the notes in the chord.

Back to our song: " Happy Birthday" . At the basic level (without adding any jazz flavours, substitute chords etc, just the basic level) the bass notes (in brackets) would be,

(C)Happy Birthday to (G)youuuuu, Happy (G) biiiirthday to (C) youuuuuu

And the melody notes (in brackets), are

(G)Ha (G)ppy (A)Birth (G)day (C)to (B)you, (G)Ha (G)ppy (A)birth (G)day (D)to (C) you

Now, let's take the "Happy" part. We have the bass note of C and teh melody of G. On the Keyboard, C and G would be the root and fifth of the C major chord, so the other note must be an E. Thus, play the C major chord for the "Ha ppy" part.

Next, the "Birth day " part; you notice that the bass note of C stays sustained even on the "Birth day" part; however, the melody changes to an A. Hmm; What chord would have a C as the root, and an A played on the right hand (if you are playing the piano ) ? What chord has an A in it ? An F chord. Thus, you play, Right hand - F major, Left hand C major, for a brief period. You also realise that the other components of the Fmajor chord, the F and C, go in sync with the A that is the melody --- it sounds right.

Thus, so far, you have a Cmajor, F/C (brief) that resolves immediately to a C. (F/C means, right hand Fmajor chord, left hand C note ). The F/C is brief and resolves back to the C major chord, just in time for the melody, "day" in "Birth-day".

The "to" part is still a C major chord, inverted. Instead of playing C E G, you will play E G C. This is to bring out the melody, C. If you played it as CEG, it would be right but you would lose the melody; that would be significant if you are playing as the lead instrument; if you are simply backing, then it doesn't matter.

At the "You" part, you realise the bass changes to G. What's the melody ? The melody is at B. Hmmm; what chord, has a G and a B in it ? G major, = GBD.

And so on and so forth. With time and practice, you will be in a position to fathom other chords, such as suspendeds, minors dimisheds etc.

If you have more questions, feel free to email me, frankly747@yahoo.com

Good luck and good day.

Original Question

Can someone give me the chord progression (piano) for the happy birthday song?
Q. I have the basic melody, I just need something to fill in the bottom, THANKS!

A. I have a simple version I play on the harp, but this is for piano or guitar.

C, G, C, F, C, G, C, G, C, F, C, G, C.

I don't know progressions, but those are the chords. (That's actually playing it through twice.)

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : an advanced version of happy birthday for piano?
Description : Q. I want to play happy birthday on the piano for my uncle because it's his birthday today, but I want to play happy birthday a bit ...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • How much does piano help with guitar?
    Q. I've played guitar for seven years, and I'm taking up guitar. About how long does it take to get really good at guitar, and does...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • an advanced version of happy birthday for piano?
    Q. I want to play happy birthday on the piano for my uncle because it's his birthday today, but I want to play happy birthday a bit ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to convert guitar chords to piano notes?
    Q. I have a few songs that I would love to convert to piano notes (beginner/intermediate level) and I just don't know how. I googled it...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger