• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » minor 7th piano chord » voicing a minor 7 flat 5? in a minor key?

voicing a minor 7 flat 5? in a minor key?

Q. I'm a relative beginner on the jazz piano. I'm looking at a few lead sheets.

I have a Dm7b5, going to a G7, then a Cm7. Since the ii-v is resolving to a minor key, should the G7 have a b9 and/or b13? Should the Dm7b5 be voiced with or without a 9? if so, should it be flat? (I notice that I voice the Dmb5 with a b9, it has almost the same notes as a G7b9b13, except the root, which I'm not playing anyway.) This particular example is from Blue Bossa, but I suppose it could be applied anywhere.

Any explanation about this would be appreciated.

A. On the minor 7th b5 I wouldn't put any extensions on it but on the dominant I would definitely use b9,b13...remember when you start altering a minor chord you start taking it from a ii chord to making it a I chord, this is in reference to upper extentions..ie: 7ths maj or min, 9ths,11ths, 13ths...but dominant chords are fair game for most anything....always remember to think of chord function ...as a for instance in Blue Bossa, when you're soloing...left hand voice...Cm69 use 3569, Fm use3579, Dm7b5 I use root pos.,G7 use 7b93b6...try it you might dig it.

Original Question

What are some minor piano chords that sound good?
Q. Scary or haunting that sound proffesional

A. All of them?

The joke is that every minor chord on a modern piano is the same shape (that wasn't always true, by the way). The chords' feeling depends on what key you're in. For instance, in the key of A minor, a C# minor chord would be very surprising (and probably not sound very good), but the key of F# minor, it's pretty tame.

Maybe what you're looking for is a sequence of chords. A lot of Renaissance and Baroque composers liked something called a "lament bass" for a sad sound. Try playing A, G, F, E in the bass. You can put different chords on top of it, like: Am, G, F, E, or even sadder, Am, Em/G, Dm/F, E. Or, for the chord over F, try an F half-diminished 7th--that's an Fm with an Eb added. Experiment with it!

By the way, the "scariest" chords are diminished 7ths. For a "haunting" sound, just play several in a row.

Original Question

Dominant Chords - Piano?
Q. Could someone help me here? What is a Dominant + Major chord in the key of C? And also, what is a Dominant + Minor chord in the same key of C? The instrument, by the way, is a Piano.

Thanks!

A. OOOH! ANOTHER PERSON WHO PLAYS THE PIANO!! lol

Anyways, when you have a Dominant chord, its just a chord that is built on the 5th note of the scale. Therefore the dominant chord in the key of C major is
G(5th note) B and D
and if you need a Dominant 7th chord, it would be
G B D and F

The minor Dominant chord would to just build a chord on the 5th note of the minor scale. Therefore G Bb D

Dominant 7th
G Bb D F

hope i helped!

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : voicing a minor 7 flat 5? in a minor key?
Description : Q. I'm a relative beginner on the jazz piano. I'm looking at a few lead sheets. I have a Dm7b5, going to a G7, then a Cm7. Since th...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to convert guitar chords to piano notes?
    Q. I have a few songs that I would love to convert to piano notes (beginner/intermediate level) and I just don't know how. I googled it...
  • How to do advance piano chords?
    Q. I already know how to make major and minor chords and inversions. But the others chords I still don't know how to do them. How do yo...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • How much does piano help with guitar?
    Q. I've played guitar for seven years, and I'm taking up guitar. About how long does it take to get really good at guitar, and does...
  • How to make a beautiful sad melody on piano?
    Q. So my voice instructor is leaving soon, and i wanted to surprise her and write her a song and i have started, i have an idea of the lyri...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger