• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » b minor piano chord » How do you know what piano chords go together?

How do you know what piano chords go together?

Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they go together to write a song. Could you guys give me some tips on writing songs?

A. I'm been composing for a LONG time so I can tell you where you need to start. I know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it. You need to practice remembering what chords are compatible to one another.

For example a D G (Bflat) chord is compatible with a G (Bflat) D chord.

Did you see how they contain the same notes but are arranged differently?

Look at a d minor scale:

D E F G A (Bflat) (Csharp) D

Any of those keys are acceptable for a d minor song. So if you used chords that are combinations of any of those keys, you can be 90% sure to be fail safe. That's a good place to start.

Now look at an a minor scale:

A B C D E F (Aflat) A

Play the following chords:

(A C E)
((Aflat) C E)
(F (A flat) C)
(E A C)

Those are all in the scale and you just created a tune to an a minor song

Recognizing what doesn't sound right is the beginning of learning what DOES sound right.

Experiment a little and find out what works what doesn't


Hope this helps

Original Question

How do I find out what piano chord is played?
Q. I'm a saxophone player and am transposing a piece. But the score shows a D and a B played as a chord. Because saxophones can't play chords, how do I know what is being played? Does it just default to the middle or what?

A. "Defaulting to the middle" is hard to do - in some rare cases it works out sounding fine, but most of the time it just sounds weird, especially if you're playing in a group or with accompaniment. Because playing a different note entirely may not fit with the rest of the piece, or even be in the same key!
What key is the piece actually in? Just wondering because B to D is a minor third in the key of B major, and D to B is a major sixth in the key of D major... But it's also possible that the piece is in a different key entirely.
I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think there's a right or wrong way. Personally, for wind instruments, if a chord transposition is in an accompanying part I would play the root of the chord, but if the transposition is in a melody part then I'd just choose the note that seems to fit the melodic line best. obviously I don't have your music in front of me now, so I can't advise you on which note to take.
Hopefully that helps you a bit though!

Original Question

How is watching someone play the piano good for people who are beginners?
Q. How is watching professional pianists play the piano good for people who are beginners & want to learn to read music & play the piano?

A. A lot of what a professional pianist does will be far too fast for the human eye to catch. Far better to sit at a piano and find out what works and what doesn't. Piano lesson number one. A "C" chord contains C, E & G in any order with a C bass (playing a G or E bass under the C chord creates well known combinations you're ear will recognise). An "F" chord contains F, A & C with an F bass and A and C basses played underneath having similar effects to those described above. A "G" chord has G, B & D and again, having a G bass is normal but using a B and a D as a bass note is very common to achieve certain effects.

Learn those three chords, play around with adding other notes until your ear recognises how the combinations can fit together and practise like mad.

If you learn 6 or 7 chords, you'll have the basics to play enough songs to sing along to in the keys of C, F and G (once you add B flat chord and so on).

A C chord with an A bass is an A minor 7th and it's used LOTS. An F chord with a D bass is a D minor 7th and THAT is used lots too.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : How do you know what piano chords go together?
Description : Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How to change a keyboard chord to piano?
    Q. Hey! On the electronic keyboard, for example, the C major chord is : C - E - G, which is pressed all at the same time, now what i wanna ...
  • How to convert guitar chords to piano notes?
    Q. I have a few songs that I would love to convert to piano notes (beginner/intermediate level) and I just don't know how. I googled it...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • What is a chord progression and how do you play it in the piano?
    Q. I am studying on playing the piano and my textbook says "Chord progressions consist of two or mjore chords played consecutively....
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • How do I convert or change piano chords to bass guitar chords or tabs?
    Q. Usually when I try to find gospel bass tabs or chords, I'm sent to sites that only have piano chords. Someone said that I could get ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • Guitar chords to piano?
    Q. Okay so I wrote I song, and I started with my acoustic guitar first with capo on 3rd fret. But I want to play the same exact chords on p...
  • How do I form special piano chords?
    Q. specifically (add9) chords and ninth and 11th chords. Thanks in Advance. A. add9 just means you add the 9th to the given chord. The 9th...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger