• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord inversions pdf » What do you think of my first sonata?

What do you think of my first sonata?

Q. I'm looking for criticisms on my harmony and my modulation to the dominant (It sounds funny and I don't know how to fix it). Attached is a pic of all the music because I can't attach a .pdf. This is about grade 4/5 so it's good sight reading practise for anyone that wants it. Any other comments would be helpful too... Thanks!

Link:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/DaraJava/Untitled-1.jpg

P.S. Sorry but some bars got smushed towards the end. Blame Finale!
Why is everyone attacking maninkia? Please stop using my question as a forum to have petty battles. Thank you.

Also, i. jones, your links don't work. Could you re-post them please? Thanks.

A. Some random jottings from a former lecturer in composition....
(i) Your modulation to the Dominant sounded queer merely because you sat on a chord in its second inversion, a weak sound almost always!
(ii) You chose to write in the style of C.P.E.Bach (A style about 250 years old now). Any sensitive listener would hear this, and subconsciously demand that you followed the practices of this long-gone era. You didn't.
(a)There are several very naked consecutives, and there are at least two obvious and weak similar motion passages to an octave or to a fifth. When there is never more than 2 notes sounding simultaneusly, this is awfully exposed.
(b) On more than one occasion you give us harmony with no third or 7th, merely a perfect interval (4th, 5th, or 8th). This provides no harmonic 'grit' whatsoever.
(c) Apart from my comment on the reason your modulation sounded amateurish, there is, from memory, two other occasions when you use the 2nd inversion of your accompanyment chord. In the thin texture you have chosen, this almost always sounds a little weak.
2. The work seems to start again every 4 bars. Did you mean it to?
3. Although you have a well-developed melodic sense, and you use dissonance quite nicely, I felt there was a need for the movement to be 'about' something. It seemed to be a pretty piece of almost nothing. Is there a theme? Already,I have forgotten it, if there was!

The above seems quite harsh, no doubt? There are far more good things than bad in your first attempt to write music, and I wish you well in your future writing.

Do you think the 18th Century Alberti bass is viable in the 21st Century? I don't. Srely there is nothing new to say in that idiom, and, with the development of the modern piano, the need for this style of writing is long gone!

A tinkling little piece of pretty salon writing is not to be scoffed at. I'm sorry if you think that's what I was doing. I was trying to encourage you to write more forcefully, to attempt to 'say' something in your future efforts.

Already, you use Finale really well!

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : What do you think of my first sonata?
Description : Q. I'm looking for criticisms on my harmony and my modulation to the dominant (It sounds funny and I don't know how to fix it). Att...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • what are good jazzbooks for someone to learn and become amazing at playing?
    Q. . i play the piano i have natural talent at improvising and have a very good ear. but when i play jazz music i don't know how to inc...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger