• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord rules » Are there any 7th chords on the piano that are considered to be violating the rules of classical composition?

Are there any 7th chords on the piano that are considered to be violating the rules of classical composition?

Q. I am posing this question from the standpoint of classical music.

A. I like the "What Rules?" answer. It's cute.

Think of this. Without 7th chords there would be no 4th inversion chords. And I like those chords.

I've seen Bach use Dominant 7(b9) chords, generally associated with jazz. In fact, the 7th has been included in the V7 chord since it was discovered. Medieval times? Earlier? It was where the "Tonus Diabolus" came from. The tri-tone, the devil's interval. Illegal to use during the inquisition. Never used in Gregorian Chant.

The rules of Classical Composition are the rules of Music Theory. If it can be built, spelled, played, or conceived, it is fair game. The seventh chord is the simplest chord possible after the "Triad". Could you imagine if we only had triads?

The two most important notes in a chord are the root, and the bass. Not always the same. The root is the name and function, the bass gives it it's quality or character.

It is true that you can use 7th chords built from any note of the diatonic scale. If you harmonize other scales you get even more interesting chords. From harmonic minor you get a minor triad with a Major 7th, you will find an augmented triad with a Maj.7th in there as well. There are many more variations than the diatonic scale will give you.

Comes down to it, you can add any kind of 7th to any kind of triad. There will be a scale that supports whatever combination you use.

Original Question

I'm struggling learning piano chords?
Q. I'm pretty good at reading notes and everything but when it comes to memorizing scales and chords I seem to have trouble memorizing them, and it would be a whole lot easier playing when I do. Are there any easy ways to remember all the chords, 7th chords, diminished chords, and so on? Are there any phrases to help memorize them like Great Big Dogs Fight Animals for the line notes on bass clef? Any advice will be helpful.

A. Check out the book "How to Speed Read Piano Chord Symbols" over at Patternpiano.com

It's got a system for learning the 7th chords.

Basically, if you start with the Root and 4th of a chord (say, C and F in the key of C).

If it's a major 7th, move both notes down a half-step.

If it's a minor 7th move them both down a whole-step.

If it's a dominant, move the middle note down a whole step and the top note a half-step.

If it's a diminished, do the rules for a dominant, but then move each note down an additional half-step (in other words, middle note down three from the root, top note down two from the fourth)..

It's a little complicated, but once you pick up these four rules, all of the seventh chords will fall into place.

Check out http://www.list-of-chords.com/ for some piano chord charts related to the same system.

If you have any questions, just e-mail me.

Original Question

Please help me with piano chords?
Q. Could you please tell me a "rule" for piano chords, such as sheet music. I read notes, and I do not know how to do chords. I need to know because I'm trying to play in the band at my church tonight, but I don not know how to do chords. What notes do you press for an A chord? B chord? etc. if theres a rule like every three other notes or something, please tell me. Thanks!

A. umm... there are chords on pianos actually. you play 1 3 and 5s to obtain chords. and A chord is A-C#-E a B chord is B-D#-F#

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Are there any 7th chords on the piano that are considered to be violating the rules of classical composition?
Description : Q. I am posing this question from the standpoint of classical music. A. I like the "What Rules?" answer. It's cute. Think of...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger