• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord quizzes » How do I harmonize a chromatic scale for piano?

How do I harmonize a chromatic scale for piano?

Q. The starting note is C.

A. The other possibility is the use of a series of resolving dominant 7th chords - C - A7 (with the C# at the top) - resolving to d minor; B7 (with D# at top) resolving to e minor - etc. This was a common Keyboard Harmony quiz when I was in undergrad school - and dinosaurs walked the Earth. You get it done in ONE way - and then your prof would say "Again - and *something different*!" They would want to see just how creative you could be - and they would choose the key (the stinkers!!!) So - the answer from I. Jones is more than likely what you seek - but I thought I'd throw mine out, too - just in case.

Original Question

Ready For Another Lame Classical Music Quiz?
Q. A few may be easy, several a lot harder (requiring considering what a few specific words refer to) and the last question is just plain silly. But this is all in fun. So, here goes ...

1. This soprano has sung the same lead as both a black women and a white woman. Can you name the soprano and the lead character?

2. In the art imitating life and life imitating art category two men falsely accused their wives of infidelity and both murdered their wives. And in their own way both are prominent figures in the realm of classical music. A semi-easy question, but can you name both?

3. The $1,000 ballet. This may be too easy, but who commissioned it, who composed it and what was itâs name?

4. One of the endearing characters from this long symphonic work is a lovesick seahorse. Can you name both the composition and the composer?

5. This classical Bond girl is someone even a snob like Miss Moneypenny would have approved of. Can you guess who this girl is?

6. Donât like the music of Schoenberg or Adams or Arnold or Milhaud or Hindemith? Youâre not along in rejecting music outside your comfort zone. In fact, there is a Latin phrase defining what you find unappealing. Can you name this phrase and itâs English translation and, for some super-duper bonus points, name the music it was first commonly applied to.

7. The photo is of a page from a specific score. Can you name the composer and the composition based on this photo?

http://unmired.livejournal.com/pics/catalog/2385/54943

8. The driver of this SUV is most likely:

http://unmired.livejournal.com/pics/catalog/2385/55181

a. An auto thief with very little taste?
b. A car-jacker with very discerning taste?
c. A good âol boy truck driver from Butte, Montana?
d. An old fart like me who put these stickers on the rear window of his Ford Explorer because there are thousands like this in his area of LA and the decals make it easier to spot his SUV in a crowded parking lot?

A. I'm recuperating from major surgery; and it's rather difficult for me to focus. So will respond only to one of your questions - the only one I'm really sure I know the correct answer to: if up to it later, will try some of the others.

Question #-7: the opening chords to the 1st movement of Rachmaninoff's "Second Piano Concerto".

Alberich

Original Question

if you place a capo on the first fret and play a D chord, what chord are you playing then?
Q. As in the secong fret with a capo.What chord are you playing in the normal D shape?

A. Here's how a capo works: Do you know the order of notes on your fretboard? (or on a piano?) If you look at the notes on your D string, starting open and moving up one fret at a time to the 12th fret, they are D-D#-E-F-F#-G-G#-A-A#-B-C-C#-D. This is called a "chromatic" scale. You can start a chromatic scale on any note and just go one fret at a time until you come to the starting note again. When you put a capo on the first fret, you move all the notes up one semi-tone and convert the chord to the next letter in the chromatic scale.

If you play a D shaped chord with the capo on the 1st fret, it becomes D# (Eb) With a capo on the 2nd fret, it becomes E. With the capo on the 3rd fret it becomes.....(look to the chromatic scale above)...yes, it's F

All other chords work the same way, and this is also the principal behind barre chords. With barre chords, your first finger becomes the capo.

Pop quiz:
If you put the capo on the 4th fret and play an E shaped chord, what chord are you playing?
Hint: Count up the chromatic scale (fret by fret) on the E string.

E â open
F â 1st fret
F# â 2nd fret
G â 3rd fret
G# â 4th fret
The correct answer is G# which is also called Ab. You could also play this as a barre chord laying your first finger across all the strings on the 4th fret and forming an E with your other 3 fingers.

If you understand my explanation, you'll be able figure a way to play just about any chord. Pretty cool, huh?

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : How do I harmonize a chromatic scale for piano?
Description : Q. The starting note is C. A. The other possibility is the use of a series of resolving dominant 7th chords - C - A7 (with the C# at the t...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger