• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » pop piano chord progressions » Classical music harmony and chord progressions?

Classical music harmony and chord progressions?

Q. Hi all,

I'm a pop music consumer and producer (amateur level at the moment).

While only amateur level at producing, I have a decent understanding of music theory and harmony. Ie. I can easily read guitar tab chords and construct my own progressions, beyond 4 chords per song.

While I listen to mainly contemporary music, classical music theory/harmony has always been a mystery to me.

Can someone explain what the main difference in classical music harmony and pop music harmony is? For example, in pop there are instruments play notes/chords which ultimately constructs the harmony. The vocals then provides main melody, for the most part.

In classical music I sometimes hear piano solo and sometimes they have strings, how does the two interact? Do they play mostly melodies or do they play the notes/chords to construct a harmony? When a pianist solos, what does the two hands do? counterpoint? In contemporary, it usually is open/broken chords to proved harmony with left and melody with right. From what I hear, this is mostly not the case in classical music.

Thanks!

A. Pop music has nearly the same chord progression as classical music.

"Chord progression - Wikipedia":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_progression

"Chord progressioân and voice leading in classical music":
http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/The-Lesson-Loft-Guitars/chord-progression-in-classical-music/td-p/32813988

"Harmony in Pop and Rock Music":
http://csutheory.shaffermusic.com/resources/analysis/poprock-music/38-2/

Harmony in pop/rock music does not always follow the same norms and patterns of classical-era music.

A very good source - Google search: "chord progressions classical pop music":
http://www.google.com/search?q=chord+progressions+classical+pop+music&filter=0

Cheers ebs

Original Question

Pop song writing help?
Q. Can someone either give me a basic chord progression/ melody for piano or give me any tips?

A. Most pop songs contain the chords of C major (CEG) G major (GBD) and D major (DF#A). These are pretty much the basis for anything you hear in the charts. Tips wise, make a mind map including mood, instruments, structure and influences. This can often start you thinking and get your creativity flowing. Also, spend 15 minutes just messing around on your piano and that is the golden time when you come up with all your ideas.
Good Luck :)

Original Question

How do I learn how to play chord progressions easily on piano?
Q. I heard my step uncle and actual uncle play some really beautiful chord progressions and I just want to be able to play like that. I have a history in music, but only treble clef. I'm working on learning bass clef but just need motivation and determination. Also, if this is any help, I'm 15
Any help/ advise would be appreciated. Thanks

A. Do you have experience with piano? It get's a little technical with the way chords are formed. A good way to start is to practice playing simple chords. If you have experience with piano and know which key is which, then you might want to start off by playing a C major chord. With your right hand, put your thumb on C, your middle finger on E, and your little finger on G. It should look like you're skipping every other white key with your hand (second and fourth fingers don't play) Then if you want, you can play around and move up and down to D with the same fingers skipping and on all the white keys. Then you play a D minor. Most pop songs have simple chords like that. However, your step uncle and uncle might have played something with more complex chords. I suggest reading up on different ways that chords can be formed, but a progression is just a pattern. A lot of songs use the chords C F G and A minor. (if you learn those, you'd be able to play about 1000 songs I bet). Another way is to look at a piano chord chart, which might take less studying if you just want to get to playing the song. Here's one: http://www.8notes.com/piano_chord_chart/. Ask them what songs they were playing, and then you can use the chords and find the notes with the chord chart.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Classical music harmony and chord progressions?
Description : Q. Hi all, I'm a pop music consumer and producer (amateur level at the moment). While only amateur level at producing, I have a decent ...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger