• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord notes » Can you play a piano chord as a single note?

Can you play a piano chord as a single note?

Q. I'm trying to play the melody to a certain song on some sheet music on my string bass, and there are some chords that can't be played. Is it possible to play a chord as one note?

A. If you are saying you still want to play the melody and you are wondering if you can play one note instead of the chord then yes, you should be able to. It is usually the root of the chord, which is usually written as the lowest note on the music. If it doesn't sound right then try the other notes of the chord but it should work if all you are doing it trying to play the melody line.

Original Question

How do you convert guitar chords to Piano notes?
Q. I am needing to know how to convert guitar chords to piano notes. I need to know how to do this because sometimes when our band plays music we can only find guitar chords and i need the notes for piano. like i need these guitar chords as piano notes. (G#5, C5, A#5, D#5)

A. Well, there are two ways -

the first is to find the chord on your guitar and find the notes that each finger is on. So, using your G#5 chord - your index finger is on the 4th fret, low E string, your ring finger is on the 6th fret, A string. So you count up on the guitar itself - G# on the pointer, D# on the ring. So, the G#5 chord is G# and D#. You will need to know the chord shapes to do this, as well as the step differences between notes to count right.

The second is to use music theory. Every chord (with the exception of power chords) uses 3 or more notes. The most basic chord is called a triad. It consists of a root note, 3rd, and 5th. If you know the scale that you are using, find the note you want, then move up two notes for your 3rd, and another for your 5th. For example, lets say your are in the key of G major and I needed to know the Amin chord. The scale is G A B C D E F# G. So i'd start on A, my 3rd would be C and my 5th would be E. ACE. For "5"/power chords, do the same thing, but only count the 5th note. So, your C5 would be a C and a G.

The above method ONLY works if you use notes and chords inside of a scale. An example of how this won't work - in the G major scale, the "A" chord is minor, or Amin. If you were to try to use this for the AMaj chord, you would get the wrong notes.

For the triads, there is another way to find the notes: the fifth is always 7 half-steps from the root. In a minor chord, the 3rd is 3 half-steps away from the root. In a major chord, the 3rd is 4 steps from the root. For example, you'd find the Gmaj chord like this: the root, G, would be zero.......1-g# 2-a 3-a# 4-B......B is your major 3rd. 1-g# 2-a 3-a# 4-b 5-c 6-c# 7-D.......D your 5th. Your GMajor chord is GBD.

If I confused you - I'm sorry. Music theory is not the easiest thing to explain or understand. It is all mathematics and rules.......way too many rules to explain w/o writing a book.

Original Question

what is a piano chord?
Q.

A. A piano chord, is when three or more notes on the piano are played harmoniously. It usually means 3 keys for a one, five - seven, or four chord, and more keys for the more complicated chords. Sort of confusing, but its basically a pretty group of notes. Hope this helps! : ]

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Can you play a piano chord as a single note?
Description : Q. I'm trying to play the melody to a certain song on some sheet music on my string bass, and there are some chords that can't be p...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How to change a keyboard chord to piano?
    Q. Hey! On the electronic keyboard, for example, the C major chord is : C - E - G, which is pressed all at the same time, now what i wanna ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • How do I form special piano chords?
    Q. specifically (add9) chords and ninth and 11th chords. Thanks in Advance. A. add9 just means you add the 9th to the given chord. The 9th...
  • How do you play guitar chords on the piano?
    Q. There are a lot of songs I like that I want to learn on piano, but I don't know how. I can play piano by reading notes, have studied...
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • Can someone tell me the piano chords for don't let me be lonely?
    Q. Hello, I attended a summer camp for adult visually impaired campers and really liked it, so I want to go back next year. They usually ha...
  • How to do advance piano chords?
    Q. I already know how to make major and minor chords and inversions. But the others chords I still don't know how to do them. How do yo...
  • How do I convert or change piano chords to bass guitar chords or tabs?
    Q. Usually when I try to find gospel bass tabs or chords, I'm sent to sites that only have piano chords. Someone said that I could get ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger