• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » f2 piano chord » What does math have to do with music?

What does math have to do with music?

Q. I'm pretty sure that math is related to music... I just don't know how... Please help?

A. More with Physics and Math actually.

Take the piano for example, the wavelength of each of the strings plays a different sound when it is shorten or lengthen. It uses the characteristics of fractions.

Violins, Guitars, and pretty much any string instruments.

Instruments like Flutes make use of the resonance effect of sound waves.

Also, here is a question related to yours, it is about Math and playing chords (I was chosen as Best Answer) http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ardvruq0Oh2ek3A5LDe4_fnAFQx.;_ylv=3?qid=20091218225212AAMbH0A&show=7#profile-info-JQsvHyfjaa

In Physics we have a formula for calculating "Beats" in Hz. It goes as Fbeat = l f1 - f2 l. If f1 and f2 are the same, then we do not get a beat. l...l are absolute value signs

Original Question

How to write an Intro for a song on piano?
Q. Okay I wrote a song on piano, and I wish I could upload it but i have no recording gear. Its just the melody, chords, and lyrics right now. I want some intro and outro music. Any advice on these?

I used F2, F, Em, and G chords.

A. if F2 is the first chord, that is your goal chord for the intro.

that means the chord before it could be something like V/F2
http://www.musictheory.halifax.ns.ca/26secondarydominants.html

before that you could have chords in the key of that dominant, or use the secondary dominant of that.

to make the intro really lead, make sure to follow the voice leading rules!
http://chrisjuergensen.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/voiceleading.htm


the outro, just use your ear to figure out what sounds good next, and follow the rules, or it won't be as strong.

Original Question

why don't we hear beats when different keys on the piano are played at the same time?
Q.

A. You *can* hear destructive interference, if you play a minor 2nd, (for example A and A-flat.) You may also be able to hear faint beats in a major third (C, E)

Most common intervals and chords you will hear played on a piano are "consonant," meaning the frequencies tend to "line up" and not strongly interfere with each other. Two pitches are "consonant" if their frequencies form an exact ratio of whole numbers. For example, in an octave, the simplest interval, the ratio of the frequencies is 2:1

Modern pianos are tuned using "twelve tone even temperament", or "12-TET." Specifically, the ratio between the frequencies of any two keys on the piano is

f2 / f1 = 2^(n /12)

where n is how far apart the two keys are(considering both black and white keys.)

For a major third to be *exactly* consonant, it needs to have a frequency ratio of exactly 5/4 = 1.25. But using even temperament, the ratio between the notes C and E (for example) is 2^(4/12) = 1.2599, so on a piano, major thirds tend to be slightly sharp. If you listen carefully, you can hear the dissonance in thirds, even on a well tuned piano. The interference in minor seconds is simply because the notes are so close together.

Even temperament gives relatively good consonance for seconds, fourths, fifths, and sevenths, but causes thirds and sixths to be slightly out-of-tune.......a bit of a musical compromise. However, most piano music has a relatively large number of notes played at the same time, and is played quickly enough, that any dissonance is hard to distinguish from background noise. In practice, even temperament tends to sound more "harmonious" than other systems where the intervals would be exact.

Hope that's not too confusing,
~W.O.M.B.A.T.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : What does math have to do with music?
Description : Q. I'm pretty sure that math is related to music... I just don't know how... Please help? A. More with Physics and Math actually. ...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • what are good jazzbooks for someone to learn and become amazing at playing?
    Q. . i play the piano i have natural talent at improvising and have a very good ear. but when i play jazz music i don't know how to inc...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to convert guitar chords to piano notes?
    Q. I have a few songs that I would love to convert to piano notes (beginner/intermediate level) and I just don't know how. I googled it...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • Does anyone know the piano chords to Jar of Hearts?
    Q. The song Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri..I want the piano chords. A. Am, C i know i cant take one m...
  • What is the best Piano teaching software?
    Q. Is there one that teaches chord proficiency like Mavis Bacon teaches typing? With the aid of a MIDI controller. A. I loved the old Mir...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger