• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord voicings » Can someone explain to me what chord voicings are?

Can someone explain to me what chord voicings are?

Q. Hi! I'm a little bit confused about 7th chord voicing. I understand inversions but voicing is a bit confusing for me. I want to know how many possible chord voicings are out there. I also want to know which notes I have to lower in order to correspond to the drop voicing. Thanks.

A. Chord voicings are ways in which you can arrange the notes in the chord for various effect. For a 7th (assuming you mean Dom 7) in G, you might "drop 2, drop 4" which means (for one example) on piano, you would play the root and 5th in the right hand, and play the 3rd and the 7th in the left. In this example, then, imagine the G7 chord this way: (from the bottom), LH: B, F, RH: G, D. Root position of this chord would simply be G, B, D, F. Reasons for voicing chords certain ways may be for concerted writing (voice *leading* so that each instrument has a line that is close to step-wise movement), or for supporting the melody. Capeche?

Original Question

does anyone know advanced Rootless chord piano voicing for two hands?
Q. Looking for interesting Jazz rootless chord voicings for two hands if anyone knows some. For Dom7, Maj7th, Min7th, Min6th.

A. You can try some spread voicings. That's where you play every other chord tone.

So a Cmaj7 w/o the root is just Em. A spread voiced Em triad would be built E B G. You could stick another E at the top if you want.

You should be able to figure out the rest on your own... unless you don't actually know how chords are built, in which case I recommend you read this article I wrote on the subject. It's intended for guitarists, but the information is applicable to all instruments.
http://www.lukesniper.net/?p=181

Original Question

How do I practice reading jazz chords off of a lead sheet? How would I quickly learn to sight read piano music?
Q. I'm a student in the 11th grade. I attend an art school, I am currently studying piano with jazz chords and progressions. I would like to join the jazz band but I need to learn to read a bit quicker. Any ideas?

A. READ --READ--READ--as much music as you can
try to play with other musicians
STUDY-STUDY-STUDY- theory and chord voicings

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Can someone explain to me what chord voicings are?
Description : Q. Hi! I'm a little bit confused about 7th chord voicing. I understand inversions but voicing is a bit confusing for me. I want to know...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • chord progressions for enhancing improv skills?
    Q. I'm a guitarist and I'm trying to work on my improv skills. I'm looking for some chord progressions to practice over that ar...
  • How do you play piano chords??!!?
    Q. I'm a beginner and teaching myself how to play Keyboard/Piano. I've borrowed so many books on the subject but can't figure o...
  • Does anyone know where i can get a free piano chord sheets for Poker Face?
    Q. So im looking online and if you could, please put a link for a site you may find them on, cuz im not having and luck. thanks! A. D ...
  • where can i find the piano chords for a song called So Much Love by The Rocket Summer??
    Q. A. verses are [Em7] to [Am7] pre chorus is [Em7] [D/F#] [G] [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 chorus is [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 [G] [Am7] the bridge ...
  • All about singing... and other things . ;)?
    Q. From what I know I'm a good singer (i think.) I'm 16 years old and i'm a female. I always wanting singing lessons but could ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • Chord Progressions??
    Q. If I have the right thing.. when writing a song on the piano, and you're in a specific key - for example let's say we're in ...
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger