• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord b flat » What does the sign Bb/A in piano chord music mean?

What does the sign Bb/A in piano chord music mean?

Q. I'm playing a song on the piano with chord signs. The song is In B flat and I came across this and I don't know what chord to play.

A. It's a B flat chord with an A in the bass (left hand). It's read B flat OVER A.

Original Question

What do you call a dominant chord in a major key with the tonic as the root?
Q. I am doing a harmonic analysis for Beethoven's Piano sonata no. 8 movement 2 op. 13, particularly with the first 22 measures. In measure 8 there is a cadence that I must identify. I'm pretty sure it's an authentic cadence, (V-I), but for some reason there is a tonic in the bass? To elucidate: the chord has a D flat, E flat, B flat, G in the upper three voices, and the key is A flat major. So this is a V7 chord, but there is also an added A flat (tonic) as the bass voice. So how do I write out a V7 chord with a tonic in the bass?

A. Beethoven: Piano sonata no. 8 movement 2 op. 13
"The famous Adagio cantabile: first eight bars":
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/Adagio_sonate_path%C3%A9tique.svg/400px-Adagio_sonate_path%C3%A9tique.svg.png

As you said, in measure 8 there is a A flat V7âI cadence,
where the added bass of the tonic is the lowest tone.

Cheers ebs

Original Question

What key is a piece in if it has both an E flat and a B flat?
Q. I'm trying to figure out how to play a piece on the piano and so far I have figured out that it has both an E flat and a B flat. It would really help with the chords if I knew what key this piece is in! Also is it a major or minor key? Thanks!

A. With two flats only ,(Bb,Eb), the most likely key is Bb major. If it has frequent F#'s as accidentals and has a final chord which contains the note G then it is most likely in the relative key of G minor (still with the Bb and Eb).

Musician, composer, teacher.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : What does the sign Bb/A in piano chord music mean?
Description : Q. I'm playing a song on the piano with chord signs. The song is In B flat and I came across this and I don't know what chord to pl...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • How much does piano help with guitar?
    Q. I've played guitar for seven years, and I'm taking up guitar. About how long does it take to get really good at guitar, and does...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • an advanced version of happy birthday for piano?
    Q. I want to play happy birthday on the piano for my uncle because it's his birthday today, but I want to play happy birthday a bit ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to convert guitar chords to piano notes?
    Q. I have a few songs that I would love to convert to piano notes (beginner/intermediate level) and I just don't know how. I googled it...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger