• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » d7 piano chord » How do you explain this advanced, alternate ending chord in music ?

How do you explain this advanced, alternate ending chord in music ?

Q. On the piano, let's say we are in the key of A minor (Am). When the song ends, instead of resolving to the Am, we end on D to D octave on the left hand and on the right hand we play C E G# B.
How does this chord work and why does it sound "off" but good?
Do you know any other alternate ending chords for both major and minor keys ?

A. B
G#
E
C
A
wold be A minor major 7/9, so that would be the "normal" chord to end the cadence

Changing only the Root from A to D makes it a D7/13/#11 which can be seen as a substitute for the A minor chord.
It gives the listener the impression that the song is not finished yet- which it is.
its a common trick used in Jazz to substitute the I minor chord with a IV chord.

Original Question

Can you teach yourself how to play the piano without a teacher?
Q. can you learn how to play the piano without the help of piano teacher...Only (how to play the piano) piano books?
Do those books even exists? (i don't recall seeing any)

A. many of us keyboardist, especially the GOOD ONES, are self taught. It's good to get the fundamentals from a good teacher... but teaching piano (I've done it) is a lot like teaching swimming.

The best way to learn is to GET IN THE WATER and SPLASH AROUND. Reading a book is helpful, but not as helpful as "doing it".

Also... it doesn't matter HOW GOOD your teacher is you can still drown!

I would read theory... and learn how to build chords.

A "C major chord" is comprised of C, E & G

A "C7" - C, E, G and Bb.

A good combination of chords are 1, 6m, 4 and 5-7

SO G major, Em, C and D7 - in the key of G.

Find a song you like and try to hear the ROOT of the chord.

Then try to identify the chords.

The Blond Haired gal on IDOL - said she HASN'T had a paino lesson in her life... and look how good she is!

Original Question

Can someone help me understand tritones on the piano?
Q. I know you use tritones or fill in chords in between the original chord progression but how do you know which tritone or fill in chord to use in that key or chord progression? And how do I play the right tritone for a passing chord or any chord for that matter?

A. if you're looking to add more passing chords between the original changes of a piece, there are lots of ways of going about it. adding a secondary dominant chord or a secondary II V are popular method.

let's say the original progression is a bar each of Cmaj7 Fmaj7 G7, for extra passing chords, one could add secondary dominant chords (Cmaj7 C7 Fmaj7 D7 G7) or secondary II V progressions (Cmaj7 Gmi7 C7 Fmaj7 Ami7 D7 G7) but the real dictating factor in what you can get away with is whether the melody works over the new chords though, one can add extensions/augmentations to chords to help the melody fit. A tritone substitution is another popular way to alter progressions. wherever there is a dominant chord a tritone substition can be made, assuming the melody can be accomodated. the most important two notes in a dominant chord (aka the V chord) are the 3rd and 7th (in G7, B and F) because they move by semitone (considered a strong resolution) to the 3rd and 1st of the Key Centre. if you use the dominant chord a tritone away, you maintain those strong semitone resolutions, except the bass movement is now also a semitone resolution. In C Major, the V chord (G7) can be substituted with Db7, because it also has F and B as it's 3rd and 7th and the Db resolving to C adds and extra bit of chromatic resolution which can be tasty in the right circumstances. The Berklee Press Makes some great books about this stuff, there is really an endless amount of ways to reharmonize in, it's an exciting topic to delve into and to hear well executed.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : How do you explain this advanced, alternate ending chord in music ?
Description : Q. On the piano, let's say we are in the key of A minor (Am). When the song ends, instead of resolving to the Am, we end on D to D oct...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger