• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord fingerings » Will having a background in guitar help with piano?

Will having a background in guitar help with piano?

Q. I want to learn piano and I was wondering: Will having a background in guitar help with learning?

A. You'll know how to read music, how different notes sound, the counting and other basic technique. You would also probably know what notes the chords and scales are (unless you only memorize the frets). Once you learn fingerings and where the notes are on the piano, you should playing better than someone who doesn't know guitar. There is a different way of playing and you have to get used to it. But, I say that it will help. But learn to play what you want to play first.

Original Question

Is it possible for a person to become a musician without knowing how to read notes?
Q. I have this friend who loves to play the piano and she knows how to play well, but she absolutly refuses to learn notes and she makes up all her own songs (which actually sound quite difficult). Are there actually accomplished musicians who don't know how to read notes? I was just curious.

A. Yes, there are many accomplished musicians that play by ear. Meaning they have "an ear for music" and can sit at a piano and literally pick out the song they are listening to or from memory. On a guitar that process is a little more difficult because the guitar has definite fingerings that have to be followed in order to make chords. Recently on AI, I believe it was Brooke, played the piano by ear, she doesn't read music, and I heard her play songs that she learned on her own without knowing how to read the chart. It definitely requires great talent to do that.

Original Question

How much does piano help with guitar?
Q. I've played guitar for seven years, and I'm taking up guitar. About how long does it take to get really good at guitar, and does being pretty good at piano help with learning guitar?

A. If you have 7 years of piano under your belt you probably know more music theory than most guitar players ever will. You will also benefit from the fine-motor control/dexterity that you have developed. If you have practiced with a metronome then you should have good timing which will also transfer nicely. Learn a few basic chords-G, C and D for songs in G and A D and E for songs in A. There really is no substitute for time spent with the instrument and the fingerings will not translate. Guitar is harder on the beginner's Left hand (if playing righty, opposite if'n you're a southpaw) but your nerves become desensitized fairly quickly and then the callouses start to develop. It is irrelevant whether you start with a pick or fingerstyle but after a while try the other as both styles produce effects the other style really can't match. Once you can make the changes and keep your rhythm going you're ready to tackle other keys and to get your barre chords down. Do not be intimidated-there's an old joke you might find encouraging: how do you get a guitar player to turn down? Put a chart in front of him. How do you get him to turn off? Put notes on the chart. With 7 years of piano you won't have those problems and using only your left hand to make chord shapes will be easy. Last tip: more than half of playing guitar involves muting the unused strings-let your fingers touch the strings next the ones you hold down; it might seem like poor technique but it actually makes the guitar sound better and the shapes easier to hold and play-Eddie VanHalen often uses only part of one finger and no one can say he can't play. You'll be fine. Getting good can take as little as a month or as long as a decade-depends on your criteria and your self-discipline and how much time you can devote to practice. Give yourself permission to be terrible, take the time to actually tune up every time you play and you won't be bad for long. Cruise the web for resources-there's a lot of material to help anyone learn to play.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Will having a background in guitar help with piano?
Description : Q. I want to learn piano and I was wondering: Will having a background in guitar help with learning? A. You'll know how to read music,...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • chord progressions for enhancing improv skills?
    Q. I'm a guitarist and I'm trying to work on my improv skills. I'm looking for some chord progressions to practice over that ar...
  • How do you play piano chords??!!?
    Q. I'm a beginner and teaching myself how to play Keyboard/Piano. I've borrowed so many books on the subject but can't figure o...
  • where can i find the piano chords for a song called So Much Love by The Rocket Summer??
    Q. A. verses are [Em7] to [Am7] pre chorus is [Em7] [D/F#] [G] [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 chorus is [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 [G] [Am7] the bridge ...
  • Chord Progressions??
    Q. If I have the right thing.. when writing a song on the piano, and you're in a specific key - for example let's say we're in ...
  • Does anyone know where i can get a free piano chord sheets for Poker Face?
    Q. So im looking online and if you could, please put a link for a site you may find them on, cuz im not having and luck. thanks! A. D ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • What notes should i play on the piano to create a gloomy song?
    Q. I'm completely fresh to playing a piano. I know where the notes on the keyboard are located... i was wanting to play something incre...
  • All about singing... and other things . ;)?
    Q. From what I know I'm a good singer (i think.) I'm 16 years old and i'm a female. I always wanting singing lessons but could ...
  • How much does piano help with guitar?
    Q. I've played guitar for seven years, and I'm taking up guitar. About how long does it take to get really good at guitar, and does...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger