• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » f sharp minor piano chord » Does all the minor and major chords have sharps/Piano?

Does all the minor and major chords have sharps/Piano?

Q. I know the c major doesnt and another one, but besides that I guess everyother chord has sharps in it? How do I play a Csharp minor chord with other major chords etc.

A. There are various major and minor chords which don't contain sharps or flats, because although there may be sharps and flats in the key signature, the actual key chord doesn't use those notes -
C major chord
D minor chord
E minor chord
F major chord
G major chord
A minor chord

Original Question

Modulating from E minor to F major (piano)?
Q. Ok so in music we're doing this little performance of a Beatles medley and I'm playing the piano for it but I'm a tad stuck as we go from Eleanor Rigby to Let it Be. And I need to go from an E minor chord to F major to like kind of the bridge of Let it Be. If bridge isn't the right terminology here I'm sorry..(just the bit before the chorus) I'm not a pro on music theory I haven't done any theory exams so if you could avoid using a load of techincal terms please do. I'm not really sure if I'm explaining all this right. So yeah..basically I need someway for me to get from an Eminor chord to an F major chord. It can be fancy it can be simple anything I'm just in a complete and utter conundrum..sorry for twittering on for so long!!

A. I *think* I know what you're getting at.

Eleanor Rigby's key signature is 1 sharp, or key of G major/ E minor and Let it Be is has a natural key signature, ie key of C major/ A minor.

So you need to be able to go between the two, right?

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is to find a chord that fits in both key signatures, and use that as your pivot chord. We could try a V-V approach, ie F's V, ie C major. C major has no F in it, so it can "fit" in both key signatures.

So, Em - C - F would work satisfactorily, I think.

B G C
G E A
E C F

Yeah, that C functions as Em's relative major, while it flows into the F with that leading tone (E->F).

So that's one option for you. You could even extend that out a bit, too, and compose a short interlude... or quote some of Let it Be's verse before you go into it... ie Let it Be has that part of the verse that has the line "Let It Be"... the chord progression is

C - G - F - C - G - C
(Speaking words of wisdom, let it be..)

So since that both begins and ends with a C major, you could quote that whole portion of the verse before leading into the bridge or chorus or whatever. Come to think of it, that is basically the chorus, so maybe quoting the verse instead would be better, ie

C - G - Am - F

That lets you directly quote the song and I think that would flow very well.... you can pause after the F, maybe do some kind of an F vamp or even just hold that F... or bump back to C even ... then you can lead into whatever section you want (the solo that starts in F?).


So there's three ideas for you - one very simple, and two a little bit more involved.

You could even get a little jazzy about it....

(either Em or E7 to start) - A7 - D7 - G7 - C7 - F

This is pretty simple - it cycles through the circle of fifths, its actually pretty straightforward II7 - V7 - I7 modulation, taken out until it gets to the key you want.

Or how about


B A A
G F# F
E D C

Em - Dmaj7 - F/C

Has a nice little chromatic progression.... E's third (G) dropping to Dmaj's 3rd (F#) dropping to F's root (F).


Hopefully one of these will work for you!


Saul

Original Question

Piano Jazz Chord Trouble?
Q. I've been playing classical piano for ten years now, so i'm pretty good. i decided to try out for amis honour jazz band this year, but i dont understand a thing about the chord notation on the audition sheets. can anyone tell me what these mean, coz i'm not used to reading jazz music. (i know the basics like c minor chord and major sevenths and augumented fifths and stuff so if you can explain in those terms please)

C-
F-
D â
G7+9
Bb7
Bb7+
Ebâ
G-
C7
C7+
Fâ
F7
Bb-
Eb7
Ab-
Db7
F#-
B7
E-
A7
D-
G7

thanks

A. C- = C minor (or an implied C minor 7th: C, Eb, G, Bb)

D â = D half-diminished (D, F, Ab, C)

G7+9 = G seventh, sharp nine (G, B, D, F, A#)

Bb7+ = Bb7 with a raised 5th (Bb, D, F#, Ab)

Ebâ = Eb major seventh (Eb, G, Bb, D)

(the others can be figured out from these)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

These are just the bare bones of whatever it is you'll actually be playing on the piano. Better have someone show you some comping patterns! Here's a start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqjAq81ok00 (then follow the links)

How soon is the audition?

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Does all the minor and major chords have sharps/Piano?
Description : Q. I know the c major doesnt and another one, but besides that I guess everyother chord has sharps in it? How do I play a Csharp minor chor...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • chord progressions for enhancing improv skills?
    Q. I'm a guitarist and I'm trying to work on my improv skills. I'm looking for some chord progressions to practice over that ar...
  • whats the difference between a c chord and the key of c?
    Q. i have a piano chart at home that says C chord is G, C, and E (in that order). but i've learned that C is C, E, and G. they are the ...
  • where can i find the piano chords for a song called So Much Love by The Rocket Summer??
    Q. A. verses are [Em7] to [Am7] pre chorus is [Em7] [D/F#] [G] [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 chorus is [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 [G] [Am7] the bridge ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • How do you play piano chords??!!?
    Q. I'm a beginner and teaching myself how to play Keyboard/Piano. I've borrowed so many books on the subject but can't figure o...
  • Does anyone know where i can get a free piano chord sheets for Poker Face?
    Q. So im looking online and if you could, please put a link for a site you may find them on, cuz im not having and luck. thanks! A. D ...
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • All about singing... and other things . ;)?
    Q. From what I know I'm a good singer (i think.) I'm 16 years old and i'm a female. I always wanting singing lessons but could ...
  • Piano chords in the key of E???
    Q. Ok, so what chords are in the key of E in piano if you are making a song. If it is just E chords, why is it different for guitar? The ch...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger