• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord just the way you are » How to play piano chords. HELP PLEASE!?

How to play piano chords. HELP PLEASE!?

Q. So, I've been teaching myself to play the piano. (a thoroughly complicated task, but beside the point) And, well I've come across chords. I know that chords are pretty much a bunch of notes played together. But the question is what notes? The song I'm working on has the chords C, E, F, G, Dm7 (whatever that means) Am, (A minor, or something, I think) and a C/E (totally lost there). Help. Please!

A. Pianos are cool.

The chords C, E, F and G all follow the same pattern - start on the letter of the chord (e.g. C) then add the notes that are 4 keys up (including black keys) and then another 3 keys up from that. So for C chord, four keys up is E, and another 3 keys up is G. C, E and G make up the C chord. That's for a major chord.

The minor chord has the same first and last note - but the middle note is one less. So start with the chord note, then got up 3 keys for the middle note, then go up 4 keys fort he last note. For Am you would start on A, go up 3 keys to C, then go up 4 keys to E. (ACE). A major would be similar - but the middle key would be one higher - C#. (A C# E).

You can try this with any starting note.

There are lots of variations for chords. Dm7 for example, is just D minor (D, F, A) with the addition of a fourth note. Without getting into details, just at 3 more keys from the last note (A+3 = C). So Dm7 is D, F, A, C.

C/E is a different thing again. The notes are actually identical to the C chord - however instead of the C being the main sound of the chord, the E is made to sound more dominant. Just play a C chord (CEG) with the right hand, and add a single E note in the bass scale.

Original Question

How do you play piano chords??!!?
Q. I'm a beginner and teaching myself how to play Keyboard/Piano. I've borrowed so many books on the subject but can't figure out piano chords! My understanding is you play 3 notes at once - but its still confusing when looking at people play them on YouTube. Some music have just symbols like E, Dm, etc and lyrics??

Also, I'm trying to play this keyboard version of Hillsong's "This Is Our God" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1jZ1Ux9XOU). The chords listing is:

Intro-verse: E - G#m - C#m - A
Chorus:B - E/G# - A - F#mB/D# - E/G# - A
Instrumental - bridge:E - B - F#m - C#m - A - E (also in video description)

But I can't seem to get around what the left and right hand plays. Plus the video is too fast and unclear to work out the notes :(

Please could someone help me work out what notes to play/how to play them?
Basically, the user gave a list of chord names and I don't know what the left and right hand plays - also on some he doesn't hold 3 down, but alternates between a few!

Thanks

A. To play a piano chord, you need to find out which scale the chord belongs to. For example C chord would belong to the C major scale and Cmin chord would belong to the c minor scale. Lets use C chord as an example. We start off by playing the C note on the keyboard. Then, we miss a white not, but play the next one. We end up having one white note in between the notes we are playing. You should end up playing an E on a C major chord. Then we miss the next note after E, but play the one after that, G. That is a C or C major chord. However, when it comes to other chords we need to take in the key signature of the scale. C minor has an Eb in the key signature, so instead of playing C E G we play C Eb G. I know that probably made no sense so check out this very helpful website. http://www.8notes.com/piano_chord_chart/
I think you would benefit from piano lessons. A tutor can help you play the song and work out the chords. Hope I helped with my long-winded explanation!

Original Question

what is a piano chord?
Q.

A. A piano chord, is when three or more notes on the piano are played harmoniously. It usually means 3 keys for a one, five - seven, or four chord, and more keys for the more complicated chords. Sort of confusing, but its basically a pretty group of notes. Hope this helps! : ]

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : How to play piano chords. HELP PLEASE!?
Description : Q. So, I've been teaching myself to play the piano. (a thoroughly complicated task, but beside the point) And, well I've come acr...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to convert guitar chords to piano notes?
    Q. I have a few songs that I would love to convert to piano notes (beginner/intermediate level) and I just don't know how. I googled it...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • How to make a beautiful sad melody on piano?
    Q. So my voice instructor is leaving soon, and i wanted to surprise her and write her a song and i have started, i have an idea of the lyri...
  • Does anyone know the piano chords to Jar of Hearts?
    Q. The song Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri..I want the piano chords. A. Am, C i know i cant take one m...
  • Is there a website that has information or a guide to different Piano chords?
    Q. I've been practicing the piano/keyboard recently and was wondering if there is a website that has information/references on the diff...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger