• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord fingering » What is the correct left-hand fingering for the chord, D major7, on piano?

What is the correct left-hand fingering for the chord, D major7, on piano?

Q.

A. It depends on what position (arrangement of notes) the chord is in. In all of these explanations:
5 is your Left hand pinky
4 is your ring finger
3 is your middle finger
2 is your pointer
and 1 is your thumb.

The order of notes is from lowest to highest.

In root (basic) position, you would play D F# A C# using 5, either 4 or 3, 2, and 1.

In first inversion, you would play F# A C# D using 5, 3, 2, and 1.

In second inversion, you would play A C# D F# using 5, 3, 2, and 1.

In third inversion, you would play C# D F# A using 5, 4, 2, and 1.

Generally however, only root position and 1st inversion are used in 7th chords unless the voice leading calls for it. In everything except for 2nd inversion you can drop the A out of the chord, as it is the least important member. (In second inversion, the A on the bottom is what makes it a second inversion chord.)

Also realise that the fingering for a chord changes depending on where your fingers need to go next in the song as well as how comfortable a particular position is for you. Don't think that there is only one "right" way to finger a chord. You need to do what makes the most sense in the context of the piece you are playing. Generally, however, the fingering I gave you will work if you just need to show what a Dmajor7 would look like.

Original Question

Which finger goes where on the piano chord?
Q. http://www.8notes.com/piano_chord_chart/Cm.asp

Obviously you use 3 fingers. But why is one of the dots yellow? Does the pinky, middle finger, or thumb go there?? PLEASE HELP FAST!!

A. Use whatever fingering is comfortable.

The yellow dots are used for the black keys, because blue wouldn't show against black (just as yellow doesn't show well against white). Then the page also shows the chord in all possible positions (root, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion).

Original Question

what fingers I have to play in a piano chord?
Q. Some book taught me that I have to play with my thumb, my index and my ring finger but some persons say that I have to play with my thumb, my middle finger and my little finger and i don´t know what can i do. This is in case of the right hand.

A. I'm a pianist/composer http://pianoismyfriend.com

There is no such rule that you have to use this and that finger for all chords.

Every chord is different, every distance between one key to the other is different. You want to play the chord comfortably in relation to your fingers.

If you find any finger numbering in a sheet, that's just written there to 'assist/help' you to be able to play comfortably. So it's entirely up to you, as long as you can play them comfortably and produce correct sound.

Just for reference, basic chord has 3 variations. Root, 1st Interval, and 2nd Interval.

Root = C E G (thumb, middle, pinky)
1st Interval = E G C (thumb, index, pinky)
2nd Interval = G C E (thumb, middle, pinky)

Advice: avoid using your ring finger because it is a weakest finger out of your 5 fingers :)

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : What is the correct left-hand fingering for the chord, D major7, on piano?
Description : Q. A. It depends on what position (arrangement of notes) the chord is in. In all of these explanations: 5 is your Left hand pinky 4 is yo...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • chords on the piano, what are they?
    Q. i do play the piano, but i kinda just play by ear etc, and i don't know chords at all. is there a list anywhere? im playing a piece ...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger