• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord usage » What are good chords to make a song?

What are good chords to make a song?

Q. I have been trying to make a song on the piano, but when ever i play random chords i sounds like other songs. and I really hate that.

A. There are only so many chord progressions to choose from. Besides, some of the greatest songwriters start with common chord progressions but put something special, either lyrically or in their performance that makes the song new.

Check out Etta James version of "At Last". This is the same chord progression as many songs before and after, but there is something magical in this particular usage.

Start with common chord progressions, and then figure out how to make them your own!

Original Question

On piano, can a scale's root note(tonic) be a black key?
Q. For example: can a C# be the root note(tonic)? I would then follow the 2/1/3/1 pattern of whole note/seminote scale making.

A. Yes, but be careful in your usage of the words root and tonic. They usually mean two different things.

The tonic is the first note of the scale. It could be any one of 12 notes. That is why there are 12 different major and minor keys, one for each scale built on a different tonic.

The word "root" is usually used for the primary note of a chord. For example a D-major chord has a "D" for a root, even though the piece in which it is used may be in the key of A major (where the tonic is A).

Keeping these two separated will avoid a lot of trouble down the road in your musical studies. Good luck! :)

Original Question

Why are iii and vi chords so emotional?
Q. Why is it that when you use the iii and vi chords in a song, it creates a sense of emotion? In a song in the key of C major, whenever I use the iii chord (Em) or the vi chord (Am), there is a fulfillment of some emotion. From what some musicians say, they say that certain intervals are "emotionally charged." It seems to be true. The iii chord, Em, uses notes 3, 5, and 7 of the C major scale, and the vi chord, Am, uses notes 6, 1, and 3. Both of these are minor chords, but their usage in many songs, especially when these chords are used and played among strings and electric piano, sound very calm and emotional. The iii chord sounds very lonely and the vi chord has a sad sound. Why are these 2 chords like this? Is it because the iii chord puts the dominant (G) in the middle and the vi chord puts the tonic (C) in the middle?

A. Why does the color red make one feel different than the color yellow or green? It's a mystery. What's really weird is that if you take an Em chord and add the note C underneath it, it becomes a C Major 7th chord, and it loses it's sad feeling, even though the same sad notes are still present.

There is something to do with the overtone series, where the root note and the note a minor third above it just create a melancholy feel. It's just like soft dark colors verses bright pastels. It's something due to nature, where certain wavelengths strike a certain emotion. There is no logical reason for it.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : What are good chords to make a song?
Description : Q. I have been trying to make a song on the piano, but when ever i play random chords i sounds like other songs. and I really hate that. A....

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How to change a keyboard chord to piano?
    Q. Hey! On the electronic keyboard, for example, the C major chord is : C - E - G, which is pressed all at the same time, now what i wanna ...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • music chords and notes?
    Q. where can i find audio samples of all notes AND CHORDS (piano/guitar) in MP3 format ? P.S.- I need to save them A. No clue, but it woul...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • What is a chord progression and how do you play it in the piano?
    Q. I am studying on playing the piano and my textbook says "Chord progressions consist of two or mjore chords played consecutively....
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • Guitar chords to piano?
    Q. Okay so I wrote I song, and I started with my acoustic guitar first with capo on 3rd fret. But I want to play the same exact chords on p...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • How do I form special piano chords?
    Q. specifically (add9) chords and ninth and 11th chords. Thanks in Advance. A. add9 just means you add the 9th to the given chord. The 9th...
  • What are chords in piano?
    Q. Like C, C7, C, and Am7. I see them on top of my piano music and I don't understand. Are there different ways of playing a C chord,...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger