• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord usage » The spy chord - a history.?

The spy chord - a history.?

Q. Aah yes, the spy chord, possibly one of the most Iconic chords of all time. Just one chord is a powerful motive in itself, bringing one back to memories of James Bond movies.

What is the spy chord, you ask? Well, another name for the chord is the Minor/major 9th chord, and if you just play that on the piano right now (C Eb G B D) you now know exactly what I'm talking about with this spy chord business.

So, I have a few actual questions about this chord.

A. What piece (or song) is the earliest to feature this chord? Was it from a spy movie? Jazz? Classical?

B. What makes this chord so iconicly "secret agent-ish"? Is it just our association with it's use in spy movies, or is there something characteristic about the chord that gives it this quality? (or are both factors at play?)

C. Do you know of any other chords this iconic? If you do, what makes this/these chord/s so iconic?

Plus, you can add any other information you deem necessary.

Have fun!

Bonus Q; What about iconic chord progressions? While a I-V-vi-IV progression might not make too many listeners say; "Hey, this song sounds a lot like song X!" The progression from pachabel's canon in D is often unmistakable in any context.

A. I always called it the "spy jazz" chord. A friend of mine calls it the "unfinished question". In any case, it's definitely a very unique chord that conjurs up some oddly specific moods and images.

While I don't know for sure, I'd assume that the chord began it's association with spy drama during the radio days. Radio shows often emplyed short, simple musical cues (called "stings") the punctuate particular moments. Another common one is this dramatic cadence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g9WjcGdxuM

Usage of these sort of stings in radio led to their use in silent movies as well, where a live pianist would accompany the film with simple tunes and cues that were popularly associated with various emotions and events.

The "spy jazz" chord definitely hit its stride during the 60's. You can find it all over the James Bond and Pink Panther movies. It was, most likely, a nod to the old radio dramas by the composers.

There's nothing inherently "spy-ish" about the chord, just like there's nothing inherently "happy" about a major chord. It's all association. There are ways to use the chord that don't elicit any thoughts of spies or espionage. There are ways to make major chords pretty frightening too. Just check out the dungeon music from the first Zelda game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMssCMqMHuk

That's mostly first inversion major 7th arpeggios, but it doesn't sound bright and cheery, like this major 7th does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FclrtPUquhQ

It's all about context and nuance.

The only other chord that I can think of that has such specific associations is a 7#9 chord, commonly known as "the Jimi Hendrix chord". Here's a nice video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLGzCD0qmFA

Original Question

What are good chords to make a song?
Q. I have been trying to make a song on the piano, but when ever i play random chords i sounds like other songs. and I really hate that.

A. There are only so many chord progressions to choose from. Besides, some of the greatest songwriters start with common chord progressions but put something special, either lyrically or in their performance that makes the song new.

Check out Etta James version of "At Last". This is the same chord progression as many songs before and after, but there is something magical in this particular usage.

Start with common chord progressions, and then figure out how to make them your own!

Original Question

On piano, can a scale's root note(tonic) be a black key?
Q. For example: can a C# be the root note(tonic)? I would then follow the 2/1/3/1 pattern of whole note/seminote scale making.

A. Yes, but be careful in your usage of the words root and tonic. They usually mean two different things.

The tonic is the first note of the scale. It could be any one of 12 notes. That is why there are 12 different major and minor keys, one for each scale built on a different tonic.

The word "root" is usually used for the primary note of a chord. For example a D-major chord has a "D" for a root, even though the piece in which it is used may be in the key of A major (where the tonic is A).

Keeping these two separated will avoid a lot of trouble down the road in your musical studies. Good luck! :)

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : The spy chord - a history.?
Description : Q. Aah yes, the spy chord, possibly one of the most Iconic chords of all time. Just one chord is a powerful motive in itself, bringing one ...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How to change a keyboard chord to piano?
    Q. Hey! On the electronic keyboard, for example, the C major chord is : C - E - G, which is pressed all at the same time, now what i wanna ...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • music chords and notes?
    Q. where can i find audio samples of all notes AND CHORDS (piano/guitar) in MP3 format ? P.S.- I need to save them A. No clue, but it woul...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • How to convert guitar chords to piano notes?
    Q. I have a few songs that I would love to convert to piano notes (beginner/intermediate level) and I just don't know how. I googled it...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • Does anyone know the piano chords to Jar of Hearts?
    Q. The song Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri..I want the piano chords. A. Am, C i know i cant take one m...
  • Is there a website that has information or a guide to different Piano chords?
    Q. I've been practicing the piano/keyboard recently and was wondering if there is a website that has information/references on the diff...
  • What is a chord progression and how do you play it in the piano?
    Q. I am studying on playing the piano and my textbook says "Chord progressions consist of two or mjore chords played consecutively....
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger