• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » pop piano chord progressions » Is it possible to become a good piano player without truly knowing the theory behind it?

Is it possible to become a good piano player without truly knowing the theory behind it?

Q. Like, I am starting to get the hang of reading music, and knowing chords. but all the theory stuff is so boring to me. I taught myself how to play the guitar and i consider myself to be a pretty good guitar player although i dont know scales and stuff. But if i learn how to read music, and memorize chords, do you think I can pretty much get by and be good enough to be a good piano player?
i want to be a recording artist someday and produce my music. My style of music is an indie pop style.

A. It's possible but most good piano players do know scales and chord progressions. I suppose some pianists can read difficult music and play it without knowing whether they are playing a IV chord or a V chord or whatever.

Original Question

Can you name and explain the different ways to read music?
Q. Chords Progression, Music Theory, Music Notation, Tablature, and etc.

I WILL CHOOSE BEST ANSWER!!!
Thanks in advance (:

A. Chord progression, music notation and tablature all loosely fall into the Music Theory category.

Music theory is an organized way to see and understand why music/chords/notes sound the way they do in relationship to eachother -- essentially it's the science of why some music sounds good and other notes sound awful when played together --

Chord progression is the order of chords in a song. In pop music there are typically not a huge number of chord progressions, just a few recycled over and over again (if ever you can guess what note/chord is coming next in a song because "it just sounded like where the piece was going" it's because you have an ear for chord progression)

Tablature is normally for a specific instrument and correlates to playing on that instrument (i.e. guitar tab). It is no good for music that can be translated to other instruments

Music notation/sheet music involves the treble clef and bass clef and presents music in such a way that it can be read and moved from instrument to instrument. For example, you can give a piano player, a cello player and a violin player the same piece of sheet music and each could play their part.

If you want to learn HOW to read music quickly. Also wikihow is not a bad resource for beginners but you'll outgrow it in a hurry.

Original Question

How to write songs on guitar or piano?
Q. I really want to start writing songs, i wanna start writing pop/rock songs like Lennon/McCartney style. But i have no idea how to do it, i mean people say they for example didn't know music theory and etc but i don't think they just guessed their way through songwriting, like maybe this chord will go with that lyric. So how do you write songs? My biggest problem is writing the music and combining it with the lyrics

A. I don't think someone without a knowledge of a basic music theory could create decent sounding songs on a regular basis. It's different for everyone but I'll tell you how I write songs.

First of all, it's not a concrete process. Sometimes I'll come up with the melody first, and other times I'll come up with a chord progression that really inspires me. Other times I'll be inspired by percussion instruments or a rhythm.

With that being said, usually I'll start off with a chord progression. Let's say for example the cliché I-VI-III-VII (in the key of A minor this would be Am, F, C, G). This chord progression can be found in the songs "Snow" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Kids" by MGMT and many others.

After the chord progression, I usually have a melody pop into mind. If not, I'll play around on my guitar or keyboard until I find one. Once I've got the melody, the lyrics just seem to flow. If they don't, I wait and revisit the song later when I may be more inspired. Then I'll lay a basic bass line down if it's not an acoustic song. After that comes percussion.

I almost never write the lyrics before I create the instrumental part of the song. A lot of people have different writing processes than I do though, so that may vary among musicians. In general it seems that the more knowledge and practice/experience with music theory that you have, the easier ideas flow. Some people are exceptions to this rule but I have yet to meet one.

This is probably getting really long and tiresome to read and I apologize but I hope I've helped somewhat and good luck with writing :)

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Is it possible to become a good piano player without truly knowing the theory behind it?
Description : Q. Like, I am starting to get the hang of reading music, and knowing chords. but all the theory stuff is so boring to me. I taught myself h...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • where can i find the piano chords for a song called So Much Love by The Rocket Summer??
    Q. A. verses are [Em7] to [Am7] pre chorus is [Em7] [D/F#] [G] [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 chorus is [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 [G] [Am7] the bridge ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • Piano chords in the key of E???
    Q. Ok, so what chords are in the key of E in piano if you are making a song. If it is just E chords, why is it different for guitar? The ch...
  • How much does piano help with guitar?
    Q. I've played guitar for seven years, and I'm taking up guitar. About how long does it take to get really good at guitar, and does...
  • How do you play piano chords??!!?
    Q. I'm a beginner and teaching myself how to play Keyboard/Piano. I've borrowed so many books on the subject but can't figure o...
  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • All about singing... and other things . ;)?
    Q. From what I know I'm a good singer (i think.) I'm 16 years old and i'm a female. I always wanting singing lessons but could ...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger