• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » jazz piano chord » Does Anyone Know Any Jazz Chords On Piano?

Does Anyone Know Any Jazz Chords On Piano?

Q. On piano or keyboard can anyone tell me any jazz chords because i think they sound awesome. Could you tell me what notes to put my fingers on please?

A. There's no real list of jazz chords per se, but 7th chords (7, min7, maj7, etc) are commonly used in jazz.

To play a 7th chord, play the first, third, and fifth note of the scale (major chord) and add a flatted 7th to it.

The formula for a basic 7th chord is 1 3 5 b7

C major scale = C(1) D(2) E(3) F(4) G(5) A(6) B(7)
So, to make a C7 chord, play C E G and Bb

Formula for a maj7 chord is 1 3 5 7
Formula for min7 chord is 1 b3 5 b7
Formula for maj(min7) chord is 1 b3 5 7

You can usually also substitute 9th and higher (11th, 13th, etc.) chords for most 7th chords (9th chords are 7th chords with the 9th attached)

C7 = C E G Bb / C9 = C E G Bb D
Cmaj7 = C E G B / Cmaj9 = C E G B D
Cmin7 = C Eb G Bb / Cmin9 = C Eb G Bb
Cmin(maj7) = C Eb G B / Cmin(maj9) = C Eb G B D

The are so many other chord types out there though, so don't just rely on these!

Original Question

What does D-7 mean in jazz piano chords?
Q. I know what D7 is, but I have no idea about D-7. Does that mean the same as Dm7? I just came across this in "The Real Book," 6th edition.

A. Yes, it is a Dm7! There is no standardization in this. You have to learn which style a particular arranger or copyist uses and go with the flow. Sometimes you will see major and minor indicated with upper-case "M" and lower-case "m'. Other times you will see the aforementioned minus sign "-" to indicate a minor chord and a delta symbol (small triangle) to indicate a major chord. Frequently you will see major indicated by "Maj" and minor by "min". Unfortunately there is no standardization. Sometimes you have to figure it out from the arrangement: What works best?

An arranger or copyist (usually) always employs the same indicators in all their manuscripts. Usually a publisher will use the same naming convention throughout a book. However, THE REAL BOOK(s) arrangements are mixed because they are the actual working arrangements from many different artists representing many different arrangers and copyists!

In re-reading this I noticed that there may be a question on the "7" in a chord symbol. It is usually understood that the chord will be a dominant-seven with the 7th tone in the scale of the chord name lowered a half-step. Thus the answer that said "D-7" (your original question) is D-F-A-C is correct. The "-" sign denotes an F-natural (minor third) rather than the normal F# in a D scale. The "C" is natural because it is a dominant-7 chord. A Dmaj7 would have the "C#" which is the normal 7th tone in a D scale. What about a Dmin7 with a "C#"? In other words, D-Fnatural-A-C#. How is this written? There is no standardization! I have seen it as Dm-maj7 and Dm-add C# but there are other ways.

Original Question

Good website to find Jazz Piano and Guitar Chords for Jazz Music?
Q. I want to learn Jazz! Or even some Blues!

A. here are the titles of jazz books that I currently have:
The Harmony Of Bill Evans (Piano Score)
The Giant Steps Studies
Sonho (Samba) - Big Band Score
Salsa - Afro Cuban Montunos For Guitar
Oscar Peterson Jazz Exercises (Piano Music Score)
Les Wise Bebop Bible
Kind Of Blue Transcriptions
Jazz Riffs for Piano
Complete Book of Harmony
Coltrane Patterns
bossa nova guitar
Bill Evans Fake Book
Bill Evans - Signature Licks
85 - [Tunes You Though You Knew (Reharmonized Standards)
The New Real Book Vols 1-3
all are in pdf format. if you want you could pick from the list and i'll email them to you.

here also are some transcriptions that are in jpg format
Body & Soul - Hank Mobley
Tenor Conclave - Hank Mobley
Very Early - Bill Evans
St. Thomas - Sonny Rollins
Two T's solo - Michael Brecker

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Does Anyone Know Any Jazz Chords On Piano?
Description : Q. On piano or keyboard can anyone tell me any jazz chords because i think they sound awesome. Could you tell me what notes to put my finge...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • chords on the piano, what are they?
    Q. i do play the piano, but i kinda just play by ear etc, and i don't know chords at all. is there a list anywhere? im playing a piece ...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger