• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » jazz piano chord » What mode do you solo in for jazz piano?

What mode do you solo in for jazz piano?

Q. I'm the pianist in my high school jazz band, and I'm working on my jazz piano improv (during repeat sections where people take solos in songs). However, I don't know what musical mode to solo in (ie: major, minor, mixolydian, blues, etc). How do I know which one to pick and which one do you recommend? I'm open to any other suggestions about soloing. Thanks!

A. The mode you use depends on the chordal progression. Use the mode that incorporates the notes of the chord - Cmaj7 - use Ionian or Lydian, (major scale with a sharp 11)
Cmi7 - use dorian, , (minor scale with a b6) or harmonic minor
C7 - use mixolydian (major scale with a b7)

Have you ever used any of Jamey Aebersold's books and cds? Start with his ii-V-I and one with some of your favorite standards. You can play along with them, solo for many choruses, and your rhythm section never gets bored!

Also try singing your solo line without playing. If you can sing an interesting improv melody, you will learn where to find those notes on the keyboard.

Original Question

How long to learn jazz piano?
Q. I want to take up jazz piano. I have been playing the guitar pretty seriously for 12 years and I am an OK jazz guitarist. I also played piano for 4-5 years when I was a kid and sporadically through the years, but never serious. How long would it take me to get the technical part down for jazz piano? My ear is OK as I transcribe jazz pianists all the time?

A. It depends on how advanced you are with piano overall, like whether you are very familiar with scales, chords, arpeggios etc. already. Some things different from piano solos and guitar solos is that some jazz pianists will accompany their own solos and technique on piano is more straightforward; their aren't many piano techniques like sweep picking, hammer ons/pull offs, etc. Piano is mostly about having second nature knowledge of where your notes are and controlling your sound.

Original Question

What's the best system for memorizing piano chords and their inversions?
Q. It seems such a difficult task to memorize all piano chords and their inversions. I'm going at it slowly, as I learn new pieces. Is there any systematic way to learn them faster? (I am studying mostly jazz voicings, open voicings etc....not your normal root 3 5 chords.) Thanks!

A. There isn't a system that I know...I didn't really learn by memorizing inversions though.
If you know anyone that plays, it's really helpful to get out a few real books and play together. That's what I did, and it's paid off (literally)

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : What mode do you solo in for jazz piano?
Description : Q. I'm the pianist in my high school jazz band, and I'm working on my jazz piano improv (during repeat sections where people take s...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How to change a keyboard chord to piano?
    Q. Hey! On the electronic keyboard, for example, the C major chord is : C - E - G, which is pressed all at the same time, now what i wanna ...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How do I convert or change piano chords to bass guitar chords or tabs?
    Q. Usually when I try to find gospel bass tabs or chords, I'm sent to sites that only have piano chords. Someone said that I could get ...
  • Guitar chords to piano?
    Q. Okay so I wrote I song, and I started with my acoustic guitar first with capo on 3rd fret. But I want to play the same exact chords on p...
  • How do I form special piano chords?
    Q. specifically (add9) chords and ninth and 11th chords. Thanks in Advance. A. add9 just means you add the 9th to the given chord. The 9th...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • What are chords in piano?
    Q. Like C, C7, C, and Am7. I see them on top of my piano music and I don't understand. Are there different ways of playing a C chord,...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger