• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord progression theory » T or F: Learning music theory is important before learning how to play an instrument?

T or F: Learning music theory is important before learning how to play an instrument?

Q. I think it is. since people who play by ear think they are so good they cannot read sheet music or don't know the I-IV-V chord progression. I don't consider them musicians either but what do you think? is it important?
cause I know a great bass player better than I am who plays by the ear but when he plays with the school band they ask him to switch to the key of A and he doesn't know what he is doing or what key he is in. also lets say you need to tranpose a piano solo from a piano to guitar, how can you do that if you don't know how to sight read?

A. FALSE - You don't need to know theory before learning an instrument, but you should start studying theory at some point, otherwise you will lose out on as lot of opportunities to play with other musicians. Many of the well known musicians that people site as being ignorant of theory actually did learn or was studying theory.

I currently attend a church and refuse to play, (I am a bassist) because the piano player has been playing over 50 years and have no idea how to quickly transpose a song, figure out chord progressions on the fly, nor correctly construct chords. He plays fine by himself but other musicians cannot play with him (I definitely won't). When you add in other instruments it sounds like a big sonic mess...

Original Question

How do I practice reading jazz chords off of a lead sheet? How would I quickly learn to sight read piano music?
Q. I'm a student in the 11th grade. I attend an art school, I am currently studying piano with jazz chords and progressions. I would like to join the jazz band but I need to learn to read a bit quicker. Any ideas?

A. READ --READ--READ--as much music as you can
try to play with other musicians
STUDY-STUDY-STUDY- theory and chord voicings

Original Question

Why are advanced piano players required to study harmony?
Q. I have started studying harmony theory and I question why it is necessary. So far, they have taught chord progressions and rules for the various voices (soprano, alto, tenor and base). However, most of the rules they teach get broken in music. So why is it required to study harmony?

A. If you study harmony, then it will be easy to play piano at any level!

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : T or F: Learning music theory is important before learning how to play an instrument?
Description : Q. I think it is. since people who play by ear think they are so good they cannot read sheet music or don't know the I-IV-V chord progr...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • where can i find the piano chords for a song called So Much Love by The Rocket Summer??
    Q. A. verses are [Em7] to [Am7] pre chorus is [Em7] [D/F#] [G] [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 chorus is [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 [G] [Am7] the bridge ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • Piano chords in the key of E???
    Q. Ok, so what chords are in the key of E in piano if you are making a song. If it is just E chords, why is it different for guitar? The ch...
  • How do you play piano chords??!!?
    Q. I'm a beginner and teaching myself how to play Keyboard/Piano. I've borrowed so many books on the subject but can't figure o...
  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • How much does piano help with guitar?
    Q. I've played guitar for seven years, and I'm taking up guitar. About how long does it take to get really good at guitar, and does...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger