• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chords jump » What notes should i play on the piano to create a gloomy song?

What notes should i play on the piano to create a gloomy song?

Q. I'm completely fresh to playing a piano. I know where the notes on the keyboard are located... i was wanting to play something incredibly gloomy and improvised. what notes do you suggest to create a gloomy, mellow tone?

A. Well, in the movie "This Is Spinal tap," one of the characters talks about, "a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.

So, you could start by playing in D minor. Play a d minor chord in your left hand (d, f, and a). In your right hand, you can make up a melody using the notes in the d minor scale. You can choose between natural minor and the harmonic minor scale.

Natural minor: D E F G A Bâ­ C D
Harmonic minor: D E F G A Bâ­ C# D

Or stick with your right hand in the five finger position to start: D E F G A

A common chord progression would be:
d minor (d f a)
g minor (g bâ­ d) or (d g bâ­) so you don't have do jump around--an inversion
a minor (a c e) or (c e a) -- inversion
d minor (d f a)

You could also go back and forth between g minor and d minor for a while.

Another chord you might add to the mix is an e minor chord (e g b)...as long as you don't play a Bâ­ in the right hand at this time.

This should be a great start to a beautiful, gloomy song with room to improvise.

Original Question

Should I give up piano and start electric guitar?
Q. Well,I watch many videos from youtube with guitar covers and I get jealous!I started playing the piano six years ago.Should I give up?What do you think?

A. I started out on piano when I was 8, and took up guitar a couple of years later (and bass the year after that).

I continued taking piano lessons until I was 13 or so. The only reason I stopped was that I was in high school band (trumpet), and the after-school marching rehearsals (4 days a week, plus a football game on Friday) made it tough to do.

I wasn't crazy about taking piano at the time, but I'm thankful to may parents everyday now for making that happen for me. Being able to read music and understanding chord theory put me miles ahead.

It's been a long time since I've played keys on a regular basis, and I'm probably going to add a keyboard setup back into my live rig this year.

And yeah, you can't strap a baby grand over your shoulder and jump around, but just about everything you learn on piano will make you a better guitarist!

Greetings from Austin, Tx

Ken

Original Question

Piano Fingering: How to determine the correct fingering when sight reading?
Q. When you're learning a new piece on your own, how exactly do you determine the most efficient fingerings? Do you base the fingering from the basics: scales, arpeggios, and chords we learn all those years of practising? Or does it just come naturally and randomly?

A. Absolutely use your knowledge of scales, arpeggios etc to get started. From there, be prepared to experiment; there is not usually one, best definitive way.

Generally, avoid too many jumps and make it as smooth as possible. Specifically, a few ideas:

- If your score includes fingerings, follow them, but know that you might need to change some of it to suit your hands. Compare fingerings from different scores, if possible.
- Use the middle fingers on black keys and the end fingers on white.
- Avoid having fingers left over at the end of running passages; try to end the phrase on the pinkie.
- For sequential chords, use fingering that requires the least amount of movement of the hand.
- For chords, don't forget to use your 4th finger!
- What works slowly may not always work up to speed; remember that.
- Use finger substitution for expanding hand positions or sustaining single notes.

The best advice I ever received about fingering was to pencil it in on your score, and do it that way every time (unless you make a decision to change it, then rub it out and put the new finger in, and do it *that* way every time).

An example of this: if you have a rapid, scale-like passage, mark in where the 3rd and 4th fingers will fall. Not the first, or anything else, just 3s and 4s. This way, your brain can quickly see where the thumb and the 3rd/4th finger will interact.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : What notes should i play on the piano to create a gloomy song?
Description : Q. I'm completely fresh to playing a piano. I know where the notes on the keyboard are located... i was wanting to play something incre...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How to change a keyboard chord to piano?
    Q. Hey! On the electronic keyboard, for example, the C major chord is : C - E - G, which is pressed all at the same time, now what i wanna ...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • music chords and notes?
    Q. where can i find audio samples of all notes AND CHORDS (piano/guitar) in MP3 format ? P.S.- I need to save them A. No clue, but it woul...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • How to convert guitar chords to piano notes?
    Q. I have a few songs that I would love to convert to piano notes (beginner/intermediate level) and I just don't know how. I googled it...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • Does anyone know the piano chords to Jar of Hearts?
    Q. The song Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri..I want the piano chords. A. Am, C i know i cant take one m...
  • Is there a website that has information or a guide to different Piano chords?
    Q. I've been practicing the piano/keyboard recently and was wondering if there is a website that has information/references on the diff...
  • What is a chord progression and how do you play it in the piano?
    Q. I am studying on playing the piano and my textbook says "Chord progressions consist of two or mjore chords played consecutively....
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger