• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » major 7 piano chord » How to practice piano chords?

How to practice piano chords?

Q. Piano

A. (assuming you are very new)

well major and minor chords are really simple and piano is really simple
play a major C you play C,E, and G, from C count to the keys to E it is 4 half steps, then 3 half to G this is the same for every major chord, you have the root(C) then 4h/s(E) then 3h/s(G), minor chords are the same but you have the root(C) then 3h/s(Eb) then 4h/s(G) now you know how to construct every major minor chord just by counting half steps, then you just have to practise until you memorize each, I suggest you play start by just by learning these basics and understand that no mater what the chord your thumb and pinky are alway static you do not move them when switching chords you'll find that almost every chord has these finger the same distance apart, except Bm/B and Bbm/Bb this is the odd chord where you'll have to think about possitioning your pinky if you play a B and count 7 half steps you'll find that you're pinky is on a black key and your thumb on a white while with all other major/minor chords its white white or black black

Original Question

How are guitar chords formed?
Q. like I can play anything and my cousin would know what chord it is. he is real good with his music theory. like I do some random fingering and he says its an F#Dim7th etc.. just an ex. like what makes a C D and A a chord? what notes do the have that make them that chord?


and what chord would be F# F Ab C? tell me? cause everything is a chord

A. A good music theory book would be most helpful, but I'll try to give you a quick explanation.

Chords (for guitar, piano, or any other instrument) are based on scales. So take a scale, let's say C major: C D E F G A B C (d e f g...) if we take the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of the scale - C E G - we get a "C major" chord. Its called "C major" (or just called a "C" chord) because the "root note" - the note we started on to build the chord - is C. And its "major" because....well, it would take way too long to explain here (that's why you need a good music theory book - or your cousin - to explain it) but let's just say that any time you build a chord based on the first note of a major scale, you get a major chord. Trust me on that. Then if you build a chord based on the 2nd note of the C major scale -D- you take the 2nd, 4th and 6th notes of the scale - D F A - and you get a D minor chord. The chord built on the 3rd note of the C scale - E - would be E G B (3rd, 5th and 7th notes of the scale) is E minor, and so on.

So for the key of C:
The I chord is C (major) C E G
The ii chord is D minor D F A
The iii chord is E minor E G B
The IV chord is F (major) F A C
The V chord is G (major) G B D
The vi chord is A minor A C E
The vii chord is B diminished B D F

And no matter how you rearrange or mix up notes in a chord, its still the same chord. So when you play an F barre chord on guitar, you're playing F C F A C F - even with all the additional Fs and Cs its still an F chord.

And the other thing to know is that the pattern of major chords, minor chords, and diminished chords remains the same no matter what major scale you're in. The I, IV, and V chords will always be major, the ii, iii, and vi chords will always be minor, and the vii chord will always be diminished. So for the key of G major, for example, the scale is:
G A B C D E F# G (a b c d e.....)
Then:
The I chord is G (major) G B D
The ii chord is A minor A C E
The iii chord is B minor B D F#
The IV chord is C (major) C E G
The V chord is D (major) D F# A
The vi chord is E minor E G B
The vii chord is F# diminished F# A C

Then you get into adding additional notes like 7ths and 9ths and suspended 4ths and so on, on top of these basic 3-note chords ("triads") and things get more complex -- but I'll let your cousin or a good book on music theory explain all that.

Original Question

Jazz piano chords.......?
Q. I just started taking jazz piano lessons.
When it says "C7" on a piece of music, does it mean I can only play C,E,G,and B in a measure or can I also play other notes? (when improvising)

A. Well first off C7 means it's a dominant Chord and it would be C,E,G,Bb not C,E,G,B, that's a C major 7th. You can use any notes in a C7th scale, C,D,E,F(although you generally don't want play the 4th unless it's a passing tone),G,A,Bb,C. That is what a beginner should start off fooling around with but you can use any note outside of the scale as a passing tone, don't limit yourself.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : How to practice piano chords?
Description : Q. Piano A. (assuming you are very new) well major and minor chords are really simple and piano is really simple play a major C you play C...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger