• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » let it be piano chord » Any suggestions for good beginning piano books?

Any suggestions for good beginning piano books?

Q. I'm in my thirties and I play guitar. I just got a 61 key electronic keyboard for the holidays. I need suggestions for good beginning piano books appropriate for my age. The book stores and Amazon have nothing. I guess that I need to go to a community college bookstore or something.

A. What kind of music do you like? There are two routes you can take: Classical or Contemporary.

Classical although more complex and sophisticated is in my opinion easier to learn ( at first) becase it is more detailed and self explanatory. Once you learn how to read, sheet music. You can pick up a work by chopin and little by little start playing (poor technique though, but audible).

Contemporary styles are very very difficult to teach yourself (I speak from experience). You have to decipher chord symbols, study rhythms, harmonize melodies, memorize chord progressions, hand inversions, all instantaneously if you want it too sound good.

Honestly, a teacher is your best bet. Believe me you'll knock yrs off your quest.

But if your like me, who wants to be self taught: Let me recommend:

Piano for dummies (good introductory stuff)
Contemporary music theory (lv 1,2)
" " " " ear training
Pop piano book

all by mark harrison (awesome books!)

Jamie aebersold books (there are alot, but its play along, his methods have been proven, and you can start IMPROVISING the standards and classic jazz tunes.

For classical music:
I don't know any good books honestly, ther are so many methods out there. Personally once I learned how to read music (youd be surprise how quickly you can pick it up) all you have to do is get the sheet music for whatever it is you want to play (bach, beethoven, mozart, chopin, whatever)
let them be your teachers, everything is in the sheet music.

Anyway good luck!

BTW, you got a good headstart, since you already play the guitar. You have a good grasp of chords and progressions. This will aid you in piano. That 61 keyboard you got is good for the beginning but you should consider after awhile, if your still into it to at least getting a 76 keyboard one. That way you'll avoid frustrations when you see that there aren't enough keys to play a piece that you started (like moonlight sonata).

Original Question

How do you explain this advanced, alternate ending chord in music ?
Q. On the piano, let's say we are in the key of A minor (Am). When the song ends, instead of resolving to the Am, we end on D to D octave on the left hand and on the right hand we play C E G# B.
How does this chord work and why does it sound "off" but good?
Do you know any other alternate ending chords for both major and minor keys ?

A. B
G#
E
C
A
wold be A minor major 7/9, so that would be the "normal" chord to end the cadence

Changing only the Root from A to D makes it a D7/13/#11 which can be seen as a substitute for the A minor chord.
It gives the listener the impression that the song is not finished yet- which it is.
its a common trick used in Jazz to substitute the I minor chord with a IV chord.

Original Question

What is the first step in mastering the piano?
Q. ...Besides having access to a piano XD What to practice? By the way I can play the beginning of Pathetique by Beethoven.

A. Well as an ARCT student, I believe that technique is very important. Those are the scales, chords, note patterns etc. I know those are boring but trust me, the work will pay off.

Learn your musical terms like the dynamic contrasts, the tempo markings like Grave, Commodo and Andante.
Also try to learn theory as it lets you understand your music more.

History is also good to learn because it kind of gives you the "background" of your song so then you can understand more of the emotions trying to be conveyed in the music.

Having a piano teacher would be great as they can guide you through very well (:

btw, being able to play the beginning of pathetique is nothing . . . the rest of the song is waaaayyyy harder. I play that sonata , all 3 movements (the second ones my fave xD)

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Any suggestions for good beginning piano books?
Description : Q. I'm in my thirties and I play guitar. I just got a 61 key electronic keyboard for the holidays. I need suggestions for good beginnin...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How to change a keyboard chord to piano?
    Q. Hey! On the electronic keyboard, for example, the C major chord is : C - E - G, which is pressed all at the same time, now what i wanna ...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • How do I form special piano chords?
    Q. specifically (add9) chords and ninth and 11th chords. Thanks in Advance. A. add9 just means you add the 9th to the given chord. The 9th...
  • How do you play guitar chords on the piano?
    Q. There are a lot of songs I like that I want to learn on piano, but I don't know how. I can play piano by reading notes, have studied...
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • Can someone tell me the piano chords for don't let me be lonely?
    Q. Hello, I attended a summer camp for adult visually impaired campers and really liked it, so I want to go back next year. They usually ha...
  • How to do advance piano chords?
    Q. I already know how to make major and minor chords and inversions. But the others chords I still don't know how to do them. How do yo...
  • How do I convert or change piano chords to bass guitar chords or tabs?
    Q. Usually when I try to find gospel bass tabs or chords, I'm sent to sites that only have piano chords. Someone said that I could get ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger