• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » piano chord inversion chart » how to compose chords in a different way to blocked out?

how to compose chords in a different way to blocked out?

Q. i've tried broken chords but i'd like it to be different have you heard adeles version of make you feel my love? well i want to compose something like that in the piano/guitar accompaniment

any ideas??

thanks guys :D

A. Try transcribing parts that have the sound you would like to emulate. Learn those parts and study them. Are there any patterns to how the chords are voiced? What sort of rhythms are being used? How are non-chord tones utilized? Do the non-chord tones outline any particular scales? How does the accompaniment suggest the harmony? How does it interact with the melody?

These are the questions you need to ask yourself when studying those parts.

The musicians that played them probably didn't think them through that much. They probably just dove right in and figured something out on the fly. But different players do different things when they do that... they play things they are familiar with and do often. They sort of have a "strategy" for comping.

For example, my basic comping strategy on the guitar is to alternate between drop 2 voicings with the low note on the A string and drop 3 voicings with the low note on the E string. I try to keep the voice leading as smooth as possible, which means I often have to use inversions.

You can hand me a chart for a song I've never heard before and I can read it down fairly quickly using that method above. It's just a sound I like, so I practice playing that way. I can do something else if asked, but I usually go that way first because it's a more sophisticated approach that I can do right away without having to think about it.

If you always resort to clumsily jumping around to root position, close voiced chord, then you just need to develop a new strategy and practice that. Perhaps you can hit 5ths in the left hand and triads in the right. Whenever you have a 7th chord, leave the root out of your right hand. If the chart calls for an inversion, put the root over whatever note is in the bass, unless it's the 7th, in which case you can put the 3rd. Voice lead the right hand chords up for 4 bars, then back down for the next 4 bars.

That's just an idea of how you can develop your own comping methods. I just made that up right now, but if you try playing that way, it should sound pretty nice (and a lot more sophisticated than what you're apparently doing now). Those are the sort of patterns you should look for when transcribing performances as well. This is how musicians think.

Original Question

What's the Best Way to Teach Yourself Piano?
Q. I can play several instruments already, but I just heard John Schmidt's "Hymn of Nature" and decided I want to make a real attempt at piano. What's the best way to teach myself? I'm an extremely quick learner and can pick up any instrument fairly easily. What are good programs targeted towards adults/fast learners, or at least some good songs to learn that teach basic chords and playing styles?

A. I am mostly self-taught. I think a good way is to find someone who plays chords either on the piano or guitar and listen to chord changes until you can recognize them. Then try picking out tunes on the piano. Also you can get charts that show how to play the chords and chord inversions. The way to learn to read sheet music is just to practice a lot. If you already read music for other instruments, it should not be hard to apply that knowledge to the piano, but it might take time to learn to read several notes instead of one note at a time.
www.youtube.com/lightrays

Original Question

Does anyone know of an online site that will teach me how to play guitar? I will pay if necessary. Read detail?
Q. I can't afford to pay for private lessons.... i have been playing piano for 5 years and i have been singing in competitions for 8 years. I really want to learn how to play guitar... Any online sites?

A. hey please try out my site at http://guitarmanual.typepad.com i made an ebook that has step by step lessons of exactly what to practice and play to learn guitar, there are posts and videos to help, and the ebook is just .99 cents (for sale rt now) and goes along w/ the videos , it's 93 pages and 8 chapters covering it all up to an advanced level, how to read tab and chord charts, open chords, barre chords, power chords, single notes, playing techniques, chord inversions, scales, modes, chord charts, keys, etc.. everything , you can email me to for any extra help. try it out, thanks !!

http://guitarmanual.typepad.com

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : how to compose chords in a different way to blocked out?
Description : Q. i've tried broken chords but i'd like it to be different have you heard adeles version of make you feel my love? well i want to ...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • What are your plans after High School?
    Q. I am doing a project for my english class and I would like to know what are your plans after High School A. Ah, I love these types of q...
  • Is it necessary to get a piano teacher if I want to start to play piano?
    Q. Is it possible to learn how to play piano and read piano sheet notes without a teacher. I heard I should find someone who will show me h...
  • What is a good program to show a virtual piano for making piano tutorials?
    Q. I want to give back to the many people who have helped me learn the piano through video tutorials and make some of my own for people str...
  • What are the notes in the piano chord Esus?
    Q. If you were to play Esus on piano, what notes are in the right hand? The one note in the base? A. E|b|E|A|B|E these in succession from ...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger