• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » major 7 piano chord » Dominant Chords - Piano?

Dominant Chords - Piano?

Q. Could someone help me here? What is a Dominant + Major chord in the key of C? And also, what is a Dominant + Minor chord in the same key of C? The instrument, by the way, is a Piano.

Thanks!

A. OOOH! ANOTHER PERSON WHO PLAYS THE PIANO!! lol

Anyways, when you have a Dominant chord, its just a chord that is built on the 5th note of the scale. Therefore the dominant chord in the key of C major is
G(5th note) B and D
and if you need a Dominant 7th chord, it would be
G B D and F

The minor Dominant chord would to just build a chord on the 5th note of the minor scale. Therefore G Bb D

Dominant 7th
G Bb D F

hope i helped!

Original Question

How to practice piano chords?
Q. Piano

A. (assuming you are very new)

well major and minor chords are really simple and piano is really simple
play a major C you play C,E, and G, from C count to the keys to E it is 4 half steps, then 3 half to G this is the same for every major chord, you have the root(C) then 4h/s(E) then 3h/s(G), minor chords are the same but you have the root(C) then 3h/s(Eb) then 4h/s(G) now you know how to construct every major minor chord just by counting half steps, then you just have to practise until you memorize each, I suggest you play start by just by learning these basics and understand that no mater what the chord your thumb and pinky are alway static you do not move them when switching chords you'll find that almost every chord has these finger the same distance apart, except Bm/B and Bbm/Bb this is the odd chord where you'll have to think about possitioning your pinky if you play a B and count 7 half steps you'll find that you're pinky is on a black key and your thumb on a white while with all other major/minor chords its white white or black black

Original Question

How are guitar chords formed?
Q. like I can play anything and my cousin would know what chord it is. he is real good with his music theory. like I do some random fingering and he says its an F#Dim7th etc.. just an ex. like what makes a C D and A a chord? what notes do the have that make them that chord?


and what chord would be F# F Ab C? tell me? cause everything is a chord

A. A good music theory book would be most helpful, but I'll try to give you a quick explanation.

Chords (for guitar, piano, or any other instrument) are based on scales. So take a scale, let's say C major: C D E F G A B C (d e f g...) if we take the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of the scale - C E G - we get a "C major" chord. Its called "C major" (or just called a "C" chord) because the "root note" - the note we started on to build the chord - is C. And its "major" because....well, it would take way too long to explain here (that's why you need a good music theory book - or your cousin - to explain it) but let's just say that any time you build a chord based on the first note of a major scale, you get a major chord. Trust me on that. Then if you build a chord based on the 2nd note of the C major scale -D- you take the 2nd, 4th and 6th notes of the scale - D F A - and you get a D minor chord. The chord built on the 3rd note of the C scale - E - would be E G B (3rd, 5th and 7th notes of the scale) is E minor, and so on.

So for the key of C:
The I chord is C (major) C E G
The ii chord is D minor D F A
The iii chord is E minor E G B
The IV chord is F (major) F A C
The V chord is G (major) G B D
The vi chord is A minor A C E
The vii chord is B diminished B D F

And no matter how you rearrange or mix up notes in a chord, its still the same chord. So when you play an F barre chord on guitar, you're playing F C F A C F - even with all the additional Fs and Cs its still an F chord.

And the other thing to know is that the pattern of major chords, minor chords, and diminished chords remains the same no matter what major scale you're in. The I, IV, and V chords will always be major, the ii, iii, and vi chords will always be minor, and the vii chord will always be diminished. So for the key of G major, for example, the scale is:
G A B C D E F# G (a b c d e.....)
Then:
The I chord is G (major) G B D
The ii chord is A minor A C E
The iii chord is B minor B D F#
The IV chord is C (major) C E G
The V chord is D (major) D F# A
The vi chord is E minor E G B
The vii chord is F# diminished F# A C

Then you get into adding additional notes like 7ths and 9ths and suspended 4ths and so on, on top of these basic 3-note chords ("triads") and things get more complex -- but I'll let your cousin or a good book on music theory explain all that.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Dominant Chords - Piano?
Description : Q. Could someone help me here? What is a Dominant + Major chord in the key of C? And also, what is a Dominant + Minor chord in the same key...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • How to change a keyboard chord to piano?
    Q. Hey! On the electronic keyboard, for example, the C major chord is : C - E - G, which is pressed all at the same time, now what i wanna ...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • music chords and notes?
    Q. where can i find audio samples of all notes AND CHORDS (piano/guitar) in MP3 format ? P.S.- I need to save them A. No clue, but it woul...
  • How do you know what piano chords go together?
    Q. I wanna write a song on piano, but I haven't really learned chords and stuff. I know a few chords but they don't sound like they...
  • What is a chord progression and how do you play it in the piano?
    Q. I am studying on playing the piano and my textbook says "Chord progressions consist of two or mjore chords played consecutively....
  • Guitar Chords?
    Q. OK so i started playing guitar yesterday and wanna know how to play chords like what do i press? A. The former advice is correct get a ...
  • Guitar chords to piano?
    Q. Okay so I wrote I song, and I started with my acoustic guitar first with capo on 3rd fret. But I want to play the same exact chords on p...
  • How to learn Piano Chords?
    Q. I'm trying to teach myself piano chords, I don't understand though where to play them on the keyboard though, example "C...
  • How do I form special piano chords?
    Q. specifically (add9) chords and ninth and 11th chords. Thanks in Advance. A. add9 just means you add the 9th to the given chord. The 9th...
  • What are chords in piano?
    Q. Like C, C7, C, and Am7. I see them on top of my piano music and I don't understand. Are there different ways of playing a C chord,...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger