• About
  • Sitemap
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Piano Music Chords QA

Find popular and new piano chords to play everyday.

  • Home
  • Ask
    • Ask Your Question
  • Answer
Home » quartal chord piano » Does anyone know what phat chords and quartels are on the piano?

Does anyone know what phat chords and quartels are on the piano?

Q. just want to know

A. There's no such thing as "phat chords".

Quartal harmony is harmony built in 4ths, as opposed to the more common tertial harmony, which is built in 3rds.

The opening chord of Kraftwerk's "Trans Europe Express" is a great example of a quartal harmony.

Some early proponents of quartal harmony include Claude Debussy, Arnold Schoenberg, and Igor Stravinsky. Jazz pianists Duke Ellington, McCoy Tyner, Bill Evans, and Art Tatum also make/made liberal use of quartal structures.

Original Question

decorating chords on the piano?
Q. I know most of the chords on the piano.
I'm just tired of playing chords so simply.
any websites on how to make it more enjoyable to play them?
and how to decorate a chord?
if that made sense lol.

thanks :)

A. If you're talking about jazz chords, the link below should be helpful. It covers the most commonly used jazz chords. It doesn't include quartal harmonies (chords built in fourths) but it has just about everything else.

Original Question

e a a# d does anyone know the name of this chord? the d is after the octave(13th)?
Q. the chord is moveable, and played on piano. thanks.

A. It would help to know the context, such as the key, the chord before and after. is this from jazz, classical or modern music?
Is it possible any of these notes are non-chord tones, and that there are other notes that are chord tones?

in tonal music we don't usually have chords with two notes of the same name. but If we do in fact have the notes you stated then respell the a# as Bb then I'd call this D9 flat 13 with omitted third. this is unlikely unless we're talking about jazz, and even then you usually have a third in the chord.
If E is the root then we'd have a quartal seventh chord.

but I tend to think a# respelled as Bb is the root,
so it's most likely: Bb Maj7 11

in pitch class set theory we'd call this chord [0278] but this kind of analysis isn't very useful outside of modern music.

Original Question




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Posted by KickAnswers on - Rating: 4.5
Title : Does anyone know what phat chords and quartels are on the piano?
Description : Q. just want to know A. There's no such thing as "phat chords". Quartal harmony is harmony built in 4ths, as opposed to the ...

Share to

Facebook Google+ Twitter
Newer Post
Older Post
Home

Popular Posts

  • where can i find the piano chords for a song called So Much Love by The Rocket Summer??
    Q. A. verses are [Em7] to [Am7] pre chorus is [Em7] [D/F#] [G] [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 chorus is [Am7] [G/B] [C]2 [G] [Am7] the bridge ...
  • Piano Chord's can't I learn piano chords and why do I get mad at myself for not being a pro. pianist?
    Q. I am having a hard time learning chords for piano(chord fingering) I find that I can play piano by ear(not using both hands) but I am ha...
  • How do you convert guitar chords to piano chords?
    Q. i really would like to play a song on the piano. the song is kind of old and i can only find it for the guitar so i was wondering how do...
  • Piano chords in the key of E???
    Q. Ok, so what chords are in the key of E in piano if you are making a song. If it is just E chords, why is it different for guitar? The ch...
  • How much does piano help with guitar?
    Q. I've played guitar for seven years, and I'm taking up guitar. About how long does it take to get really good at guitar, and does...
  • What chord progressions make a song feel certain emotions?
    Q. I already know that chords and chord progressions can make a song have an emotion. I don't want entire progressions but what chords ...
  • How do you play piano chords??!!?
    Q. I'm a beginner and teaching myself how to play Keyboard/Piano. I've borrowed so many books on the subject but can't figure o...
  • How do you play "home sweet home" (motley crue) on the piano?
    Q. I'm a bass/guitarist I don't know piano chords, so don't give me a tab with all the letter chords on it. If there's a vi...
  • what's the difference between major and minor scales?
    Q. arent all minor scales a form of major scales? for example a piece says "Study in E minor" why does it say in E minor when it ...
  • All about singing... and other things . ;)?
    Q. From what I know I'm a good singer (i think.) I'm 16 years old and i'm a female. I always wanting singing lessons but could ...
Copyright © 2012 Piano Music Chords QA - All Rights Reserved
Powered by Blogger